This chicken “noodle” soup gets a lightened up make over by skipping the spaghetti and making zucchini noodles instead! This is low carb, gluten free and also a super fast meal made in under 30 minutes!
Of course you know I tried to pull a fast one on my kids right? Not telling them this was zucchini noodles. From experience the less I tell them the more they will at least try something new. The oldest teen of mine loved this soup, the younger two were not fans of the zucchini noodles. Such is life, the hubby and I also loved it. Win some, lose some, 3 out of 5 isn’t so bad, either way they all ate it for dinner!
When I made my lemon poached chicken and broth I knew I wanted to make a chicken soup for the blog, but I don’t eat pasta much so I thought the zucchini noodles would be tasty and I was right. They hold their texture and for me it’s just as good as pasta only better knowing it’s low carb!
I love my lemon, but for the hubby he thought it could be reduced. Just use half of what I wrote in the recipe if your concerned about how your family will like it. You can always had more lemon if needed.
It’s hearty but light and refreshing for a soup and super low in calories! One serving is 2 cups with only 214 calories!
On another note if you’re not a fan of kale just replace it with spinach or another green of choice. Also another option instead of the zucchini noodles is to try brown rice gluten free pasta which is equally delicious but not low carb so just be aware of that.
Happy Healthy Eating!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1g
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Sodium: 744mg
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 2 fresh sprigs rosemary
- 2 cups zucchini noodles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 lemon juiced or 1/4 cup
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.
- Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook an stir until veggies are softened but not browned.
- Pour in broth, add kale and rosemary and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low then add the zucchini noodles, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 5 minutes then add chicken and lemon juice.
- Remove rosemary sprigs and serve with grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Makes about 12 cups total.