Low Carb Grain Free Bacon Cheeseburger Calzone !!!
Cheesy, gooey, meaty, bread-y…is that a word?
Oh wait, doughy, that works right? You get where I’m going with this recipe don’t you? It’s all about that cheese and filling and biting into a sinfully tasting card laden burger stuffed into a calzone!
NOT NOT AND NOT AGAIN!!
Ok it is Cheesy and meaty but it is NOT, I repeat NOT bread-y, not carb-y and certainly not sinful either!
The calzone is made from….wait for it…..
Have you fallen off your chair yet? How is it possible? Well when I made my Grain Free Low Carb Pizza Dough I knew this calzone had to happen. I have a very old, back at the start of my blog, Whole Wheat Cheeseburger Calzone (you can look and go laugh at the pics) that I knew could be adapted and remade into a low carb version with that pizza crust.
And we were not disappointed.
My family in fact was in awe!
Placed on the side a little sugar free ketchup and mustard to dip and a few pickles and I call that a pretty easy dinner night!
No kneading dough, no yeast, no rising and waiting. Easy peasy and perfectly pick-up-able!
Obviously you must start with the pizza recipe in order to make the calzone but that is a pretty quick recipe in itself and in less than an hour or dare I say even 30 minutes if you have kids who can help, you can have this calzone on the table.
I think you’ve probably noticed I forgot the bacon in the recipe.
But I want it in there!
And it should be in there!
Because …..you know it……everything is better with bacon!
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 2 slices
- Calories: 287
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 9.6g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Sugar: .8g
- Sodium: 507mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 20.9g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Prepared Recipe for Low Carb Pizza Dough
- 6 slices uncured, low sodium bacon (I used Applegate)
- 1 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella (I used Sargento)
- Prepare the pizza dough on a parchment lined baking sheet but DO NOT precook it as you would for the pizza recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the ground turkey in the same skillet on medium high heat until browned and no longer pink.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook until cheese is melted and combined well.
- Place the filling down the center of the pizza dough.
- Wet your hands with water then lift one side of the dough over on top if the filling as far as you can bring it.
- Fold the other half over and seal closed simply by pressing the dough with wet fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool out of the oven 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Enjoy with condiments and pickles!