This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Baked Cheesy Tomato Basil Cups are a wonderful way to use fresh garden tomatoes and basil, not to mention a fabulous appetizer for any party.
Whether you’re a gardener or not, tomatoes home grown or ripe vine from the market are the perfect little veggie to stuff! These little ones are from my garden which seemed for us to take forever to get some ripe, red, juicy ones this year. Finally now I’ve got an abundance and I’m finding unique ways to enjoy them.
Stuffed with fresh basil and mozzarella they epitomize the summer season of caprese salads. Though when baked they take on a fall season flair that will work for an appetizer or side dish for any social gathering.
This dish is especially perfect for those reducing or eliminating grains in their diet. No grains are involved in the stuffing of these babies. The filling here will provide you a good amount for about 12 small tomatoes. Enjoy the flavors of summer with this fall side dish!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Baked Cheesy Tomato Basil Cups
- 12 small ripe vine tomatoes tops sliced off
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Scoop out the inside seeds of the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes cut side down on paper towels to drain juices for abut 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place tomatoes into bowl and using your hands coat the tomatoes all over with the oil mixture. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl mix the cheeses and basil.
- Fill each tomato with some filling, level with the height of the tomato. (Obviously the amount will vary according to the sizes of the tomatoes.)
- Lay parchment paper on a baking pan and place tomatoes.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 2+