This Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Frittata is gluten free, vegetarian and simple enough for any weeknight!
A quick and easy meal that can be made with simple ingredients you have on hand is always a welcome recipe in my house.
Eggs and cream are always staples on my weekly grocery shopping list. But zucchini is one I by when it's the season for it in RI. I recently moved so no garden for us this year but next year I plan on having an abundance to harvest!
So when time is short and it looks like dinner plans aren't going as planned, I pull this frittata out.
Occasionally I've changed out the zucchini for spinach, sometimes I add some ham and broccoli, but often it's just a simple egg, bacon and cheese frittata.
Fresh parsley on top keeps it fresh and delicious! Feel free to add some into the egg mixture as well!
My Italian dad would call this frittata in Italian slang, "Koo-kud-zill" growing up and we'd often have it on Fridays during Lent. I grew up as a kid loving zucchini and my kids are slowly learning to love it because I always make them eat it again and again.
It's simple and tasty!
It's a perfect side dish with fish or another meat or enjoy as a simple vegetarian meal, just add a salad to finish it off!
- You can replace the Half & Half with milk if desired.
- You can also use any other cheese you prefer if you don't like cheddar.
Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Frittata
- 4 zucchini or 5 cups sliced about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Half & Half
- ½ cup grated white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- optional: fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini into half moons and add butter to a skillet to melt.
- Once melted cook garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl stir together the seasonings, eggs and Half and Half. Set aside.
- Sprinkle half of the cheddar and half of the parmesan over the zucchini and onions.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until center is set.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped parsley before serving if desired.
This frittata was easy, healthy, inexpensive to make, and delicious! I made it with what I had on hand.... Zucchini and yellow crookneck squash, green onions, and chopped baby carrots. I cooked it stovetop to avoid heating up the kitchen, covered, over medium heat, for 18 minutes. Added a sliced tomato from the garden midway through. Cooler temps are on the way, and I look forward to cooking it in the oven as directed. Thanks so much for a low carb breakfast/lunch/supper dish!
Just had zucchini frittata for breakfast!
I'm not much of an egg person but this was amazing
Maya | Wholesome Yum
I'm so excited that zucchini season is starting. This frittata looks like the perfect way to use some! Thanks, Brenda!
I LOVE YOUR RECIPES - THANK YOU! I HAVE MADE THIS SAME RECIPE WITH SPINACH AND/OR
SWISS CHARD OR BOTH..I DO FRY VEGAN BACON AND ADD IT TO THE OMELET. I HAVE NOT BAKED IT IN THE OVEN - SO I WILL TRY IT THIS MORNING....WE ARE ALL TRYING TO BE SUGAR FREE BUT I HAVE NOTICED IT'S IN A LOT OF FOODS...THE LOVE OF VEGGIES IS THE BEST...
THANK YOU AGAIN...
Hi Brenda, what is meant by half and half please.
I made a variation of this dish last night for supper because I had a zucchini that was on its last legs. I followed a recipe for Flan de Courgettes (zucchini flan, a la Francaise), and it was lovely. Zucchini is so cheap and eggs right now at my fave store are .69 a dozen, so egg-based main dishes are on the menu!
It's a fabulous cheap meal!