If you're looking for a fabulous and healthy side dish to take to a barbecue or cook out this recipe is the perfect one. Making it ahead the day before so the flavors of the dressing can marry and you've got one easy not cooking required side dish everyone will love!
Black beans and mango are the perfect combination but adding a little ginger dressing takes this over the top with bright flavors!
The original recipe is one from my life long friend who now lives in Pennsylvania. She served it to me about 10 years ago! It was actually a heated black bean side topped with cold mango salsa. I've shared the mango salsa on my blog, but never put the two together, until now.
I changed the recipe so no cooking is required at all. That's how I like it, how about you? Throw a few ingredients together and you're done. Store in the fridge and take to the party you're headed to.
The hubby who had also tasted the version that's cooked and then this one, prefers this cold version better as well. He said the dressing makes it awesome!
Easy Memorial Day side dish don't you think?!!
Caribbean Black Bean Mango Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing
- 2 15.5 ounce cans Black Beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 mangos chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- optional: ½ cup chopped red onion
- Orange Ginger Dressing
- Juice & zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ inch knob ginger grated
- optional: ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the beans, mango, cilantro and if using red onion in a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over the beans and mangoes and toss to coat well.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Can be made up to a day ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Makes 4 ½ cups.