This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
What’s better than using left over turkey or chicken to make a comforting pot pie? Nothing’s better really! Using already cooked turkey or chicken makes this an easy meal to prepare. Making it ahead and freezing it, even better in my opinion. Especially wonderful on a busy weeknight to have in your freezer a ready made, unprocessed, healthy dinner for the family.
Although the title says pot pie here, to make it healthier the bottom crust is eliminated. You could always include it back in there if your family would prefer and I have to admit mine do. BUT I specifically made it without to see how they liked it anyway. It was picky kid and hubby approved!
So if you’re new to making a pot pie with just a top crust, you should think of it more like a turkey stew or soup with the added bonus of crust on top!
Also, you could make this without any crust at all and serve it as stew! In case you decide to do that, I’ve given you the nutrition info with an without the crust.
You’re welcome. 🙂
Nutrition Info [without top crust]
Servings: 8* Calories per serving: 197* Fat: 3g* Cholesterol: 37mg* Sodium: 973mg* Carbs: 24g* Fiber: 4g* Sugars: 8g* Protein: 20g* Points+: 5*
For the crust I used my Healthier Whole Wheat Pie Crust recipe since I actually had one in my freezer already. Either prepare your own or purchase one you can roll out and place on top. Nutrition info is using my recipe though.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Healthier Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup milk 1 %
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 3 cups cooked chopped turkey breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 prepared pie crust
- optional: 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pot pour broth, add potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Keep warm. In a large saute pan heat oil and cook onion until soft.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and stir until toasted.
- Add milk, celery, carrots, potatoes and broth.
- Simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in turkey, peas and parsley.
- Season with sat and pepper.
- Transfer filling to a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Lay prepared pie crust over filling.
- If desired, brush egg white over the crust and season crust with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 -25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 9*