This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Can you think of the endless possibilities when you have a terrific and healthy whole wheat pie crust to start with? I do! Whatever you like can be added to make a fantastic quiche, beef or chicken pot pie, anything really!
This is the second whole wheat pie crust recipe on my blog. The first one was a review of Whole Foods Market recipe for whole wheat crust. You can read more about that here.
And that was a good crust, but I wanted to make it a bit healthier. I was able to reduce the fat and increase the fiber and protein, and still keep a fabulous tasty, flaky crust!
Per Serving: 1/8 of crust* Calories: 143* Fat: 8g* Cholesterol: 1mg* Sodium: 9mg* Fiber: 3g* Carbs: 17g* Sugars: 0mg* Protein: 3g* Points+: 4*
Healthier Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Ingredients (makes 2)
- 2 3/4 -3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Pour milk and oil into a bowl, do not stir. Add all at once to flour. If using whole wheat pastry flour and dough is sticky, add 1/4 cup more flour.
- Stir until mixed and shape into 2 flat balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1/2 an hour.
- Lay one dough onto plastic wrap, sprinkle some flour on plastic wrap and on top of dough and lay another piece on top. Roll out with a rolling pin as large as your pie dish is. (see this post for pictures)
- Spray your pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, take the top piece off and flip over into the pie dish, pressing dough all around.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork. Cut off the excess so the crust is flush with the rim.
- Save your second dough in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap to use within a few days or roll out into a pie dish following same procedure as above and freeze into a Ziploc freezer bag for another day.
What healthy recipe will you make with this delicious crust?