Homemade Naturally Sweetened Blueberry Fruit Roll- Ups or fruit leather is a kid friendly favorite snack!
Blueberries pureed with only 2 other ingredients is all it takes to make your own kid friendly version of fruit roll -ups at home. No food dehydrator is required, but if you have one of course you can just use that. Frozen or fresh blueberries will work just the same, just be sure to thaw the frozen berries first.
I don't know about your family but my kids LOVE to come with me to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods knowing when they do they are most often likely to ask for a prepared snack and I will appease them. You can find these type of fruit leathers at many health food stores. My kids most often see them right near the aisle when you check out of course! And they are typically about a $1.00 a piece for a little thin strip. So I decided to try to make a homemade version to see how they'd hold up with the picky ones!
I used a silpat which is a silicone mat and placed it on a baking sheet. Once the mixture is made in the blender you just pour it in the middle and spread to even out.
Then the oven or dehydrator does the rest! Once cooled you can cut them into strips. I made 10 long strips out of mine since they were thinner than the fruit leather version from Trader Joes.
If you use a food dehydrator you will need to cover the trays with parchment paper before pouring your mixture on.
The kiddies approved! A little thinner that they would have liked so next time I will work on not spreading it so thin, but overall they loved them, even the hubby!
Homemade Naturally Sweetened Blueberry Fruit Roll-Ups
- 32 ounces frozen blueberries thawed or 1 pound fresh
- ½ lemon or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia or 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- If needed to help blender add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Pour blueberry juice over a silpat or parchment paper on a baking pan.
- Spread evenly about an inch away from edges.
- Bake 6-7 hours until it's no longer sticky when touched.
- Cut into strips and roll onto parchment paper.
- Secure with tape, elastic or twine.