This incredible lasagna is made without grains, it's low in carbs, but you'll never notice or care!
Using layers of baked zucchini between the traditional layers of ricotta cheese and meat and you've got a winning low carb recipe!
Even non low carbers will enjoy this fabulous and hearty meal! It's picky hubby approved!
When I first thought about trying a grain free lasagna, I was a bit skeptical myself. I mean how will zucchini really match in taste to a lasagna pasta?
Once zucchini slices are seasoned and baked, they take on a soft texture which is perfect for layering and holding up to the layers between them without falling about.
Of course they won't taste like typical white pasta lasagna noodles so you can't fool anyone here, but calling it for what it is and letting them know, yes indeed it's a veggie between the layers, then you've got to just wait, watch and listen for reactions.
I'm always the risk taker so I decided to make this brand new recipe for Christmas this year.
My picky kids weren't fans of course and I knew this would happen, but the hubby and my brother, sister in law and parents were all here and so I had high hopes.
So I guess it's more of an adult meal then a family friendly one, but good enough for company and perfect to make ahead as well.
I really think as long as you include some traditional aspects of a meal that are familiar to everyone, it's easier to add in something a little different. Especially dealing with Italian family members who are not low carb.
They seemed skeptical, but didn't say anything to me.
They tried it anyway.
They ate it.
They Loved it.
I Nailed it!
I bring you these honest stories of my life and share them to encourage you.
I know how hard it is to want others to be healthier, eat healthier, eat sugar-free and low carb. I deal with this everyday with my own hubby.
You can't make anyone do anything. But you can encourage small changes.
And hopefully the small changes in something you've made for others will make them give a second thought, a new perspective, on how healthier, low carb eating can be just as tasty and terrific.
You can make this ahead of time, just follow the steps and stop before baking at step number 14. Freeze or refrigerate. If frozen, thaw the night before you want it. Let it come to room temp for about an hour on the counter, then bake as recipe says.
Low Carb Grain Free Zucchini Lasagna
- 2 pounds zucchini sliced lengthwise, ¼ inch thick
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups marinara sauce divided
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lay sliced zucchini onto two greased baking pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until fork tender and set aside.
- Cook ground beef in oil with garlic until browned completely.
- Add salt and pepper and 2 cups of marinara sauce. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella (save the other cup for topping), eggs and seasonings.
- To assemble in a 9 by 13 casserole dish:
- Lay slices of zucchini on bottom of dish.
- Spread half the cheese mixture over the zucchini.
- Spread half the meat mixture over the cheese.
- Lay more zucchini slices over the meat and repeat again with the rest of the cheese and meat mixture.
- Finish with the final slices of zucchini.
- Top with reserved marinara sauce and reserved mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes covered then uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Give it a quick 5 minute broil if you like a crispier topping.