Hope you're not sick of apple recipes yet because I've got a bushel of them, no pun intended. 😉
Here's a simple recipe with only two basic ingredients and perfectly natural, no sugars added!
It can be quickly made with a food processor or blender in about 5 minutes and once baking, smells like apple pie in your kitchen, only without a crust or the high calories.
You could leave them in the little ramekins dishes to serve, but I like popping them out onto a plate because.........well....... it looks better! And the old saying, we eat with our eyes is very true, don't you think?
For only 101 calories per serving, you can top with a little dairy free whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg and enjoy your guilt-free dessert!
Adapted from Dairy-Free Cookbook by Jane Zukin
Naturally Sweetened Apple Custard: [Dairy Free & Gluten Free]
- 4 cups of chopped apples skin on
- 4 beaten eggs
- ½ cup egg whites
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 6 ramekin or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a high powdered blender or food processor process or blend apples until its texture is similar to applesauce.
- In a large bowl mix together apple 'sauce', eggs, egg whites, salt, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Pour evenly into ramekins.
- Sprinkle with more nutmeg.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Best served cold.
Top with dairy free whipped cream!
Other dairy free recipes you might like: