This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Whoopie pie and healthy eating lovers can now rejoice! These yummy little cookie pies are gluten free, sugar free and low in carbs as well!
I’ve actually never been a fan of the deviled dog texture of the whoopie pie cake part. Changing it a bit with rolled oats and sunflower seeds make the texture uber moist and soft. You could even freeze these and enjoy them like an ice cream cookie sandwich! My kiddies loved them!
You’ll be surprised to know as well these don’t take nearly as long as you think they would. The cookie part is mixed and baked for 10 minutes and the cream once whipped is spread on them in no time. Seriously these are a 30 minute or less dessert!
The first time I made them I used a whoopie pie pan and they were flat looking so the second time I decided to just make free form mounds. Now if you have a whoopie pie pan of course you can use it, but to me they just didn’t look like a whoopie pie, more like a large Oreo cookie. These remind me more of something cookie monster from Sesame Street would eat and I just love that!
- You can use all rolled oats in place of the sunflower seeds I used.
- You can also sub the sunflower seeds for almond flour as well.
- The first time I made them with just whipped heavy cream and the texture was too light once the second cookie was o0n top, the cream just oozed out.
- Make sure you use certified gluten free rolled oats if you are gluten free.
- I used a combination of pure stevia extract and this liquid vanilla stevia in the cookie and the filling but you could change it to all powdered if you prefer. If you have stevia extract I would only 1 teaspoon in the cookie and 1/4 teaspoon in the filling. If you have packets of stevia I would use 4 in the cookie and 2 in the filling which you could also taste and adjust as needed.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Oatmeal Whoopie Pies
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid vanilla stevia
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Add oats and sunflowers to a food processor and process until the texture of flour.
Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, pure stevia extract and salt.
Process until combined.
Pour in the wet ingredients along with the vanilla extract and liquid stevia and process until smooth.
On a parchment lined baking sheet or silpat, spoon 1 1/2 tablespoon mounds of batter totaling 18 mounds. (may need two baking sheets to allow 2-3 inches of spacing between mounds)
Bake 10-12 minutes and allow to cool completely before adding filling.
Once cooled, mix the filling ingredients in a stand mixer until whipped and fluffy.
Spread filling (about 1 tablespoon) onto one half and top with the second cookie.
Weight Watchers Pointsplus: 5*