Mini carrot zucchini muffins are made without sugar or dairy and are gluten free! These are perfect little muffins for putting in lunchboxes when the children get Back to School!
We start back to school in one week!! I don't know about you but I'm ready to get back into a better routine as far as having the kids go to bed at a reasonable time. I'm not looking forward to all the work required as I am a home school momma, but I do like a more consistent schedule by the time the last week of summer gets here. Even though we home school we are a very much on- the- go type family. We often have two days filled with activities and at our local co op, which of course requires a packed lunch.
I always try to get creative with getting in some veggies in some way in their lunch and these mini muffins are just the thing. My teen is a hater of carrots and zucchini for that matter, yet when I add those veggies into a small bite, it wins him over every time. He would never eat raw carrots with ranch or cooked zucchini on it's own with dinner, yet in these muffins he at least is getting in some, which in my opinion is better than none.
Making just 12 mini muffins would be enough for my 3 kids to have two packed into their lunch container for 2 days in a row. If they saw them any longer than that in their lunch, they would complain as they like variety as I do. Feel free to double the recipe and even freeze them then thaw the night before for busy school mornings or a snack after school as well.
Funny story here though is these were not originally made for my kids! I made them for some girlfriends coming over one night for a party. I had made them that afternoon and my kids saw them on the counter. They each wanted to try one and then another and I actually had to stop them from eating my entire batch before my girlfriends arrived! Shocked I was because I wasn't expecting them to even try them, knowing full well carrots and zucchini were in them. And now they always ask when I will be making these again, so that to me is a super win!
My girlfriends and I all love little mini finger type foods when we get together so I knew this would be a winner. Some mentioned they even tasted a bit like a spice muffins and they loved the texture.
Whether or not you have children needing something healthy packed in their lunch or you, yourself, are looking for an easy grab and go breakfast, these will work for either and just might surprise even the pickiest hater of carrots and zucchini!
- If you don't use erythritol you can certainly change it honey or maple syrup. You could also substitute 2 tablespoons of powdered stevia if you prefer.
- You could sub the olive oil for coconut oil or butter if you prefer.
- You could double this recipe and make 24 mini muffins or 6 -8 regular sized muffins.
- I used Bobs' Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour which contains xanthan gum. You could use another but if it doesn't contain xanthan I would suggest adding ¼ teaspoon.
Sugar Free & Dairy Free Mini Carrot Zucchini Muffins
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons gluten free flour I used Bob's Red Mill
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup erythritol
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 mini muffin cups with silicone or paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil, egg and liquid stevia.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Mix in the carrot and zucchini.
- Fill the muffin cups with batter and bake 15 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.