Sugar-Free Vanilla Bean Pudding is a creamy homemade, natural pudding and very simple to make at home.
Do you often purchase already prepared pudding in containers for your kids? It's simple and so much better for you to make at home. Of course you can probably find healthy pudding made with natural ingredients from Whole Foods or other health stores, but the cost will be high and I can just bet that most will not be sugar-free. Most sugar-free puddings use artificial sweeteners and if I'm not ingesting those I'm not going to let my kids either. Once you make this recipe you will never want to buy store bought pudding again.
If you're looking for a low fat version of this you can always substitute the cream used for additional almond milk and that will greatly reduce the calories and fat. But if you want that creaminess that makes pudding, well..... pudding, I'd keep the 1 cup of cream in the recipe. You can also make this dairy free by substituting the butter for a vegan butter spread and using all almond milk. I can't vouch for taste and texture on those changes as my kids and I ate this up as the recipe is shared today.
Sugar Free Vanilla Bean Pudding
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 2 cups almond milk unsweetened
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ to 1 teaspoon SweetLeaf® Liquid Stevia Vanilla Crème Sweet Drops™
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- ½ vanilla bean or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Topping: Chocolate shavings, sugar-free
- Stir arrowroot powder and salt together in a sauce pan. On medium heat, whisk in almond milk, half-and-half, and egg yolks. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, vanilla bean or extract, and SweetLeaf® Liquid Stevia Vanilla Crème Sweet Drops™. Allow to cool slightly before tasting, then adjust Sweet Drops™, if needed. Cover mixture with plastic wrap directly on top of pudding to avoid formation of a skin. Cool to room temperature and chill before serving. Top with sugar-free chocolate shavings if desired. Each serving is about ½ cup.