Dairy Free Keto Chaffle Recipe with just 5 ingredients and made in 5 minutes! Nut free, gluten free, paleo, grain free and quick and tasty for breakfast for even use in place bread for a sandwich. Plus my best tips and 3 variations (Basic Dairy Free Chaffle, Dairy Free Cinnamon Sugar Chaffle, and Dairy Free Chocolate Chaffle).
What are Chaffles?
If you are new to the keto community, chaffles are all the rage these days! You can find a bunch of variations of the classic chaffle on Facebook. They can be a quick breakfast for anyone and require just 2 ingredients; 1 egg and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. If you haven't tried them yet, you should! Though they are made with cheese, these crisp up after cooking them in your waffle iron and are amazing topped with sugar free maple syrup and butter! Plus, you can go crazy with different variations of this basic recipe. From savory to sweet options, if you can think of it, you can turn it into a chaffle like Pizza chaffles, garlic bread chaffles, cookie chaffles, chocolate chaffles, etc.
Chaffles got it's name from Cheese and waffles= Chaffles! I'm not sure who created this concoction, but it works and it works well for those of us on a keto diet or low carb diet. But the biggest issue with this basic recipe that works for so many , is that sadly it's not something those who cannot have dairy can enjoy. My own daughter is dairy free because of stomach issues and this pushed me to create a dairy free chaffle for her to enjoy.
How to Make Dairy Free Keto Chaffles
Creating a dairy free keto chaffle wasn't an easy task. I first tried using vegan cheese options but really did not like the flavor. So essentially this dairy free keto chaffle has no cheese in it at all, but it tastes amazing and is just as quick as making a classic keto chaffle. You could try swapping shredded mozzarella for vegan cheese in the classic chaffle recipe mixed with one egg to see if you like that. Most of the vegan cheese I've found contains nuts or ingredients I choose not to ingest like soy. My youngest has a tree nut allergy so nuts are not an option for us. Eliminating the cheese from the classic keto chaffle to make a dairy free keto chaffle, doesn't really make it a chaffle, it's more just a waffle, but the name is catchy! The recipe is still easy with just 4 ingredients if you don't count a sprinkle of salt. The addition of beef gelatin powder might seem odd, but I created a fantastic waffle recipe on page 95 of my new cookbook, Naturally Keto and decided adding it here for this recipe might work, and it really does create a fluffy texture!
Keto Chaffle Variations
Your basic dairy free chaffle recipe is below, which has a nice neutral flavor without added sweetness. You can always add your favorite sugar free sweetener if you like your waffles like that for breakfast. Here are two variations to my basic dairy free keto chaffle:
- For a Cinnamon Sugar Chaffle, just add 1-2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the batter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon Swerve Brown Sugar Sub, 1 tablespoon Allulose Maple Syrup or your favorite sugar free keto maple syrup sweetener.
- For a Chocolate Chaffle, just add 1 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and ½ teaspoon chocolate liquid stevia.
Tools to make Dairy Free Keto Chaffles
Mini Waffle Maker-The mini waffle maker is fun, doesn't take up much space and quick to heat up and makes the best size for a keto sandwich!
Standard Waffle Maker- If you don't want to purchase a small mini waffle maker and you already have a standard waffle maker, you should be able to make two regular waffles with this batter.
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you will love my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb and/or keto meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Tips for Best Dairy Free Chaffles
- Gather all your ingredients while you let the waffle iron heat up.
- Be sure to spray the waffle iron prior to pouring batter. Use avocado oil spray for its mild flavor.
- Whisk your dry ingredients together first in the bowl to help avoid lumps in the batter.
- If you don't like the eggy taste, replace one egg with two egg whites.
- If you don't like coconut flour you can swap it with 2 tablespoons of almond flour but reduce your eggs to just 1.
Dairy Free Keto Chaffle
Dairy Free Keto Chaffle
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, beef gelatin and salt.
- Whisk in the eggs, and mayo into the dry mixture. Spray the waffle maker with avocado oil spray.
- Separate the batter into thirds and place ⅓ portion into the waffle maker. Close the lid and wait for the light to shut off, about 2 minutes. Check that it's browned to the desire you like. Remove carefully to a plate and spray the waffle maker again with oil spray. Repeat with the remaining 2 portions of batter.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate and use for a sandwich anytime.