Healthy baked chicken nuggets are a classic kid friendly meal and even to some adults as well. But fried and frozen are just not the healthiest are they? But so super quick to make for the kids on any week night when you can easily pop them out of the freezer and reheat! I know, I've done it myself! No judging here folks!
But you can totally make them yourself and keep them frozen for those busy days when everything doesn't go as planned and you need to feed your family, except know too you can eat them and they won't ruin your healthy weight loss or maintaining goals!
The key to making them more of the store bough version is simply buy grinding your chicken breasts up! The texture is more like a traditional nugget. Then shape, dip in wet mixture and dip again in the dry mixture and bake. This recipe makes a ton so you'll have plenty to freeze!
They come out with a nice golden crisp on the outside and soft and juicy on the inside!
For the Gluten Free Breadcrumbs, I made my own with Udi's GF Whole grain bread. I toasted it then ground it up in my food processor. This can also be made with whatever bread crumbs you like of course. This recipe is adapted from Homemade Chicken Nuggets Recipe Review.
Gluten Free Baked Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut off excess visible fat from chicken breasts.
- Place chicken in food processor along with cayenne, garlic powder, Italian seasonings and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Grind the breasts and seasonings. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl combine Parmesan cheese, flaxseed, breadcrumbs and pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- In another shallow bowl whisk egg and water until blended.
- Form small chicken nuggets, dip in egg mixture, then in dry ingredients. Flip to coat all over nugget.
- Place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 15 minutes then flip over.
- Spray this side with nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- Continue to cook another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Makes 36-45 depending on size.