Gluten Free No Sugar Added Apple Crisp is a must to make if you've been apple picking this fall. Apples and a baked but healthy crisp topping go hand in hand beautifully!
Just because there's no added sugar to this apple crisp doesn't mean it lacks in taste at all! A mixture of wonderful hearty ingredients make a delicious topping for baking any fruit, not just apples. This recipe is adapted from my Whole Wheat Blueberry Crisp. Changed slightly to make it gluten free and accommodate a new sugar-free alternative I've been trying called erythritol. You could also substitute honey or coconut sugar as your sweetener or use powdered stevia in its place as well.
The reason for the use of erythritol is because many readers have said they just can't get used to the taste of stevia even with the brands I suggest. If you fall into that category and have tried the stevia brands suggested, but still feel you taste an aftertaste, erythritol may be an option for you.
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol found in some fruits and fermented foods. It's 60-70% as sweet as table sugar so not as strong in sweetness as stevia. It does not effect blood sugar just like stevia. I've been wary to use any sugar alcohols or anything that ends in -tol because I've read in some people it causes gastric side effects. But erythritol is the least likely to cause stomach upset so I've been trying it out.
I made this recipe for my entire family for a birthday party for my mother. There was only one tiny piece left after everyone had gone home. I plopped some dairy free whipped cream on it and enjoyed it all by myself! That's good enough evidence to me that everyone loved it.
The only time consuming part of the recipe is honestly just coring and peeling and slicing the apples. After that, it's super easy and well worth the effort! If you have no issues with gluten feel free to use regular rolled oats and oat flour.
With naturally sweet apples and a healthy topping that has no added sugars, you can feel good about serving this to your family anytime.
Gluten Free No Added Sugar Apple Crisp
- 6 cups sliced apples peeled, cored (Macintosh, Gala or Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tablespoons
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup oat flour or gluten free flour
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats not quick cooking
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup erythritol or 1 tablespoon powdered stevia
- 4 tablespoons butter cubed, room temperature
- optional: ¼ cup pecans if no nut allergies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine filling ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together all topping ingredients except butter.
- Once mixture is combined cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
- Coat a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour filling into baking dish and cover apples with topping mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until topping is golden brown.