This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Traditional Chocolate Crinkle Cookies get a healthy gluten and sugar free makeover!
Typical chocolate crinkle cookies are chocolate cookie dough coated in powdered sugar and then baked forming a crackle appearance. Making these gluten and sugar free has been no easy task, but the cookie you see here is tasty and pretty close in resemblance of a traditional cookie. Something to remember about baking sugar free is that the texture to baking with refined sugar is and will always be different. Comparing a typical sugar cookie with a sugar made cookie is like comparing apples to oranges. When you can get past the fact that some things may never look the same as traditional and can embrace the healthier version of a cookie gluten and sugar free you will love these cookies!
Making a sugar-free powdered sugar was something I had never tried before either. I used my friend Adrienne’s recipe from Whole New Mom (linked below) and it worked very well, BUT it can NOT be coated in the powdered sugar like you would in a regular crinkle recipe and then baked. I’ve tried it and the result is a glossy look, not white at all. The powdered sugar free substitute just dissolves into the cookie. Follow the directions I’ve given you below and you will have this look above.
My children were my taste testers for these cookies and all 3 loved them! I froze the rest for Christmas to make cookie trays to bring to neighbors and my parents house on Christmas Eve.
Notes on Substitutions:
- 1 packet of powdered stevia is equal to about 1/2 teaspoon.
- 3 droppers half full of liquid stevia is equal to about 3/4 of a teaspoon.
- You could try subbing the butter for coconut oil but the texture will be much drier.
- You could try a gluten free flour blend from King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill, but I made my own and it is in the notes below. Only use one cup for the recipe and you will have left over flour for another time.
- If you choose not to use erythritol you could substitute baking stevia possibly, but I haven’t tried baking with that. You could also try subbing coconut sugar. If you make any adaptions please come back and share them and the results, thanks!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Gluten & Sugar Free Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 packets powdered stevia
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup powdered erythritol
- 3 droppers vanilla liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend* See note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar free powdered sugar
In a microwavable bowl or in a sauce pan on the stove, melt the chocolate and butter.
Once melted stir in the powdered stevia and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer add eggs, erythritol, stevia and vanilla extract. Blend until creamed together.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, xanthum and salt.
Gradually pour into the wet ingredients while blending on low speed.
Pour in the chocolate mixture until combined.
Using a small cookie scoop, pack batter into scoop.
Make 20 rounded scoops and set onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
Bake 14-15 minutes.
Once out of the oven sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of each.
*I used my own gluten free flour blend which includes 2 cups of brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca starch.
Other Christmas Recipes you might like:
- Toffee Crunch Bark (Gluten & Nut Free)
- No Bake Sugar Free Chocolate PB Oat cookies ( Dairy & Nut Free options)
- No Bake Sugar-Free Chocolate PB Truffles (Nut Free Option)
- No Bake Honey Peanut Butter Balls
- Crock Pot Peppermint Fudge (Dairy Free)
- Sugarless Sugar Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bark (Nut, Soy & dairy free)