A healthy stuffed pepper for only 209 calories per serving! Adding a few distinct ingredients make this a Greek Style masterpiece!
This is probably the easiest stuffed pepper you will ever make. To eliminate the need for oil, all ingredients are mixed in a bowl together and poured into the pepper and then baked! Super easy, super tasty!
The hubby of mine is a big beef eater, not crazy about sun dried tomatoes or quinoa but I served this to him anyway. His only compliant was the onions. He wasn’t crazy about the fact that the onions were a bit crunchy. He didn’t even realize the quinoa was in there and since he isn’t a fan of quinoa anyway, I didn’t share it!
I’ve provided substitutions below but honestly I love them the way I shared the recipe. Make any substitutions for your family you like.
A Few Notes:
- You can saute the chopped onions in 2 teaspoons of oil for a more softer onion in the stuffed pepper.
- Quinoa must be cooked before adding it to the stuffed pepper. Follow package instructions to cook quinoa. You can also substitute the cooked quinoa for brown rice.
- You can use fresh spinach instead of frozen, but chop it first and saute it with the onion to wilt it.
- You can eliminate the sun dried tomatoes if you’re not a fan, or substitute with roasted red peppers.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Greek Style Quinoa Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers halved
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1 egg beaten
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta divided
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes drained, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional:1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Toppings: feta scallions, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes
Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Place sliced peppers, cut side down into the dish.
Add 1/2 cup of water to bottom of dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes. (You can skip this step and just bake peppers for longer in the oven until tender.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine onion, chicken, egg, spinach, and quinoa.
Add 1/2 cup of feta, sun dried tomatoes and seasonings to the chicken mixture. Fill each pepper half with mixture and top with remaining feta cheese.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake additional 15-20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Add additional toppings and serve!
Weight Watchers PointPlus: 5*
*Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger