This luscious Sugar-Free High Protein Chocolate Smoothie is keto, low carb, gluten free and can also be made dairy free!
HIGH PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
This Keto High Protein Chocolate Smoothie is super luscious and a great way to start the day because of its high protein content. It can be used as a keto breakfast alternative or great to break an intermittent fast with.
If you need to get more healthy fats into your diet, this low carb, high protein chocolate smoothie is a great way to add them easily.
By using collagen peptide powder, it makes this keto chocolate milkshake super creamy and also can be dairy free if you use coconut yogurt or coconut cream. Feel free to use grass-fed bovine collagen or marine. I like the Vital Proteins brand, but there are many other great options.
This recipe is a little adaption from my first High Protein Chocolate Smoothie recipe I wrote back in 2012. That recipe uses whey protein powder and cottage cheese for a creamy dairy high protein smoothie!
HOW TO MAKE KETO HIGH PROTEIN SMOOTHIE
You only need a few ingredients to make this sugar free chocolate smoothie. Your milk of choice, in ours we used unsweetened almond milk but coconut milk is also a great option. You need plain Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for dairy free, no sugar added peanut butter or another nut butter you prefer, unsweetened cocoa powder, and collagen peptides.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz for 1 minute until smooth.
- Taste and adjust sweetness to suit.
- Option to drizzle the glass with melted 90% dark chocolate for decoration.
CACAO POWDER VERSUS COCOA POWDER
Cacao is the purest form of chocolate in its most natural state after being harvested. Cocoa powder is most often what you see in the markets to make chocolate milk, hot cocoa etc. Cocoa powder is made by applying high heat to cacao. It retains some nutritional benefits but not as much as using raw cacao in which heat has not been applied. They can be used interchangeably in recipes.
HOW TO MAKE THIS A MOCHA SMOOTHIE
If you would like to turn this chocolate smoothie into a mocha one, it's very simple with one swap and a little additional extract. swap out the almond milk for the same amount of brewed coffee. Add ¼ teaspoon of coffee extract and you've got a delicious mocha flavored high protein smoothie!
LOW-CARB SWEETENER GUIDE
I've been creating sugar free recipes for the last 15 years using many different sweeteners. My conversion chart below is written from my vast experience with experimenting with all these sweeteners. You may see many of these conversion charts online, but they are not all the same and some I've seen I greatly disagree with.
You can trust my keto sweetener conversion chart as the most accurate and precise sugar free sweetener conversion chart and the last one you will ever need for all your keto baking.
I actually prefer not to add sweetener to my chocolate smoothie, but if you’re not used to unsweetened cacao you may choose to add a little powdered low-carb sweetener like confectioners' Swerve or erythritol, Allulose or liquid stevia drops to taste.
SUGAR FREE KETO HIGH PROTEIN CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE
Keto High Protein Chocolate Smoothie
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons Plain Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt or coconut cream)
- 1 tablespoon no sugar added peanut butter (or almond butter)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons collagen peptides
- 3 ice cubes (3-4 ice cubes)
- 1 pinch sea salt (if not in your peanut butter)
- optional: sugar-free sweetener to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz for 1 minute until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness to suit. Option to drizzle the glass with melted 90% dark chocolate for decoration.
- Storage: Best fresh.