Keto Salmon Nuggets are low carb, gluten free and picky kid approved!
Crispy Fish Nuggets
Did you grow up eating frozen fish sticks as a kid? I did and loved them dunked in tartar sauce. But as I got older I started enjoying real fish varieties without all the added breading garbage, but I missed that crispy fish nugget I grew up loving. If you too crave a crispy fish, you can enjoy them again without all the carb breading. This keto fish nugget version will please everyone in the family, even the picky kids.
Baked Salmon Nuggets
Did you know you can still get a crispy coating without actually frying? It's the process that yields the best results and the high heat in the oven. With tasty spices in the crumb mixture and coating with either coconut milk or heavy cream, these salmon nuggets are exceptional!
Other Salmon recipes you might enjoy:
Oven Fried Fish Nuggets
Oven frying or baking is the method used in this recipe as it makes for less dazzle as opposed to frying and having to babysit the pieces in the skillet on the stove. Lucky for you though, you can oven fry or actually fry these salmon nuggets if you prefer. Both methods are listed in the directions.
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb keto dinner meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Keto Salmon Nuggets
Keto Salmon Nuggets
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C / 180C fan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (almond flour, parmesan or nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.) Place in a shallow rimmed bowl or large plate.
- Add coconut milk or heavy cream and eggs to a clean bowl and whisk using a fork or balloon whisk to combine.
- Slice the salmon into 1 inch nuggets, make about 20 pieces. Coat each piece in the crumb then egg mix then back into the crumb again.
- Gently place the breaded salmon nuggets on a baking tray. Spray with oil or line with greaseproof paper and bake for 6 - 8 mins then turn and bake further 5 - 8 mins until golden.
- Option to fry; add about an inch high of oil to a high sided skillet, heat until hot and fry for about 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden. Don’t over flip though or they will lose the crumb.
- If frying place on kitchen paper to drain excess oil. If baking, enjoy straight from the tray with your favourite keto dip!
Jo is the creative food photographer and stylist behind the healthy eating blog, Modern Food Stories. Jo's a testament that once you find the right approach for you, you can overcome chronic illness through the healing power of food. She believes the secret to radiant health starts and ends with a healthy gut so all her recipes are grain, gluten and refined sugar free. Many are also dairy-free.