Low Carb Cannelloni made keto using Zucchini!
Beef Zucchini Cannelloni
If you’re looking for a keto dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy, This low-carb Zucchini Cannelloni is a must to make! It’s a crowd pleaser. So ridiculously tasty and can be made in bulk and frozen so you’ve always got a wholesome low-carb dinner on stand by for those busy nights when you just don’t have time to cook.
Don’t be put off by the list of ingredients, they’re all throw in a pot and ingredients that you’ve probably got in your cupboards already or easily found in any grocery store. Make my own low carb marinara sauce or purchase a low carb version like Rao's brand. The cheese sauce is super easy and fast! This low-carb cannelloni uses slices of zucchini instead of pasta and ground beef, but you could easily replace with ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
It’s a classic you’ll want to make time and time again!
Low Carb Freezer Friendly Dinner
This is a fantastic keto dinner meal that can be easily frozen for an easy meal to take out on a busy night. Simply prepare the entire recipe, but do not bake it. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze. On the day you want to enjoy it, thaw it out the night before in your fridge. Allow to sit out on the counter for 30 minutes then bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until nice a bubbling at the outer edges.
Naturally Keto Cookbook
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? In case you've not heard, it is epic and it is available now for pre-order! All my best work in one perfect book, full of luscious recipes the whole family will enjoy whether or not they are keto!
Even if you're not actually on a keto diet, you will love the recipes in this cookbook! Real meals for families, nothing too complicated and flavor filled and satisfying! I worked this past year to put together my very best recipes that my family and I absolutely love and request often, and now they are compiled all in one beautiful cookbook. And my favorite part, there are pictures for every single recipe! Not an easy task but I know how worth it is for even me, to be able to see a final product of a written recipe and I wanted to make that happen for this cookbook. When you pre-order this cookbook, you are guaranteed the lowest discounted price that Amazon offers. So no need to wait to see if the price lowers, you will get the lowest price and you will receive it by Release Date October 29th!
Pre Order Here!
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb and/or keto meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Keto Zucchini Cannelloni
Keto Zucchini Cannelloni
- 2.5 cups my low carb Marinara Sauce divided or Rao's brand
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ounce onion finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 medium zucchini about 14 ounces , sliced lengthwise
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / 180 Fan.
- Add the oil to a non stick frying pan and cook the onion for 2 mins on a medium heat, until soft. Add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until browned – about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Drain the fat and discard. Add the garlic for 1 further minute and season to taste. Add about 2 cups of the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 mins until nice and thick. Set aside.
- In a clean non-stick sauce pan, heat the butter and garlic over medium heat and cook until the garlic starts to release flavor - about 1 minute.
- Add the cream, ½ cup of the mozzarella, cream cheese, and ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Stir with a hand whisk and simmer on a low heat until the cheese is melted and runny. Add 3 - 4 tablespoon of water or more cream until you reach your desired thickness. I used 3 tablespoon of water.
- Slice the zucchini into long slices using a mandoline (about 3mm thick) or slice thin using a knife. They need to be thin enough to roll but not too thin that they fall apart when filled with mixture. I find a vegetable peeler does them a bit too thin, but if you do make them to thin you can always layer 2 or 3 strips together.
- Place the remaining tomato sauce mix into the bottom of your baking dish (I used a 10 x 8 x 2 inch dish) and top with ⅓ cup of cheese sauce.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of mix at one end of a strip of zucchini (or double line if thin) and roll up. Place in your baking dish with the filling facing upwards. Repeat with the remaining zucchini and cannelloni mix.
- Top with the remaining cheese sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes until golden on top and the cheese is all bubbly and runny!
Jo is the creative food photographer and stylist behind the healthy eating blog, Modern Food Stories. Jo's a testament that once you find the right approach for you, you can overcome chronic illness through the healing power of food. She believes the secret to radiant health starts and ends with a healthy gut so all her recipes are grain, gluten and refined sugar free. Many are also dairy-free.
[…] Zucchini Cannelloni […]