Zucchini and yellow summer squash noodles are quick and easy to make then sautéed in a light Alfredo sauce for this easy meatless meal. It’s perfect for summer time cooking with no oven required!
These noodles and sauce are low in carbs, naturally gluten free, and low in calories with only 110 per serving for a light and flavorful meal! Serve as a side dish with any main dish protein or enjoy for a light lunch with a salad!
While my family aren’t that keen on zucchini as pasta, I was able to make them try a bite, even the hubby. Of course they would prefer real pasta ( I give them brown rice pasta), but this dish really wasn’t made for them anyway. I wanted something light for myself when they all enjoyed pasta with a side of fish for dinner. I’ve been working on taking the 10 pounds off I’ve gained after I turned in my manuscript in June for the cookbook. Unfortunately it hasn’t budged so when that has happened in the past I know I must reduce my daily carb intake.
Carbs have always been my down fall. I could easily eat my weight in hummus and gluten free crackers! Healthy or not, for me it is portion control and unfortunately with some foods, like pasta, even brown rice or quinoa pasta, I don’t seem to have that control. I will over indulge every time. So ultimately if I want to lose weight I need to reduce the carbs and stick with complex carbs like fruits and vegetables.
With a garden full of zucchini and yellow squash this recipe is a winner by using 6 cups worth! You could also double the recipe for a crowd of health conscious people for dinner LOL!
It’s easily made in 15 minutes, and with no turning on the oven in the heat of the summer months, it’s a slam dunk for me!
Made with yogurt, but that could easily be subbed for coconut milk or a non dairy yogurt for a dairy free option.
Fresh parsley is a must, plus some extra parmesan on top!
Thankfully if I over indulge in this dish it won’t hurt my waistline or my goals to lose those 10 stubborn pounds!
- You could skip the yellow squash and just use more zucchini if you like.
- You can use whatever milk you like instead of the almond milk.
- The yogurt could be subbed for a non dairy yogurt or full fat coconut milk from a can.
- The Parmesan cheese could be subbed for a vegan cheese for dairy free or be eliminated as well.
- The arrowroot powder helps thicken the sauce but if you don’t have it on hand you could sub with with cornstarch. If the arrowroot doesn’t thicken the sauce to your liking add another tablespoon and continue to cook on low until desired thickness.
- I used a spiralizer vegetable slicer tool the hubby recently bought me, but I’ve also made zucchini noodles before using a serrated peeler like this below. Just peel as you normally would peel the skin on a vegetable and it creates these long threads similar to noodles.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Lightened Up Alfredo Sauce with Zucchini & Yellow Squash Noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups zucchini noodles
- 2 cups yellow summer squash noodles
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt 2%
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsely
Heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat until fragrant.
Add the zucchini and squash noodles and cover. Reduce heat to low.
Meanwhile whisk the alfredo sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
Pour the sauce over the noodles and continue to cook on low until slightly thickened, just about 5 minutes.
Top with fresh parsley and serve immediately.