This Apple Sausage Cornbread Stuffing is a fantastic low carb stuffing that is full of flavor, no one will notice it's low in carbs!
I have to be honest. I've never been much of a stuffing girl on Thanksgiving. I'm not much of a turkey fan either. Weird I know, but being truthful here.
I'd always go for the ham and some sweet potatoes. And being Italian another tradition my mom makes is stuffed artichokes, yum!
Do you think less of me because the traditional Thanksgiving fare is not my cup of tea?
My gradmother always made the spiciest sausage stuffng and so as a kid growing up I wasn't that much into it. My mom has toned it down and makes a great stuffing, no offense mom, but still I'd rather save my carbs for potatoes I guess.
But it the memory of my sweet grandma who always made the spiciest of stuffings, I made my version on the spicy side. Now it's not as spicy and she used to make where you actually needed a moment between bites to sit back and wipe the sweat off your brow. You can really alter the flavor and spices and much as you like.
The addition of some sweet apple makes this a unique and tasty spin on traditional.
I'm always looking for new ideas to change up traditional, it's just something I've got in my blood. My gram was always doing that too and well, I believe her love of cooking and memory lives on in me every time I try something new during the holidays.
Once the cornbread is made for this recipe, allow it to cool then cut into cubes. Lay on a baking sheet evenly and let it dry out overnight. It will be perfect for this recipe.
May your Thanksgiving be filled with family and friends who mean the most to you. Sharing food you make is a wonderful way to make memories for the next generation to remember you by, at least it has for me in my family which began with my Grandmother and carries on in my mom and now me.
Low Carb Cheesy Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
- Entire Grain Free Cheesy Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 cup chopped apple
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- optional: ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Caot a 9 by 13 baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a skilleet on medium heat, cook the sausge until browned.
- Add apple, onion and celery and cok for another 10 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, parsely and optional red pepper flakes.
- Add the dried overnight cornbread cubes.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan than pour over the stuffing mixture.
- Toss mixture well until it seems moist but not wet. If needed another ½ cup of chicken broth can be used.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes until heated through.
- Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes to brown on top.