This incredibly flavorsome Keto Chicken Minestrone Soup will be a firm favorite in your low-carb soup repertoire. Packed full of healthy vegetables and chicken, and just 5 net carbs per serving.
What is Minestrone Soup?
Minestrone is a thick Italian soup made traditionally with vegetables in a tomato stock. There’s no one recipe for what makes an authentic minestrone, so you’ll find lots of different variations.
This recipe is tailored to a keto diet using just low-carb vegetables, konjac penne to replace the pasta and some roasted chicken for extra protein.
Low Carb Pasta Options
We've chosen to use Konjac penne for this minestrone soup but there are plenty of other options you can try.
Can I Swap Out the Chicken?
Yes you can swap out the chicken breast with chicken thighs if you prefer. You can also use ground beef or ground turkey or even ground pork.
Best Tips for Perfect Keto Minestrone
To add extra flavor to this keto chicken, here’s some of my top tips: Use a really good concentrated chicken stock. I like to make my own and really concentrate it down for hours, or make in the instant pot. If you don’t have time, a good quality stock cube will also work.
Use fresh herbs. If you don’t have fresh of course you can use dried, but fresh in my opinion makes this low-carb minestrone soup extra tasty. You can add up to 2 tablespoon of fresh thyme and rosemary if you love it herby. I do!
Use good quality canned tomatoes
Unsalted butter instead of olive oil - if you’re not vegan or following a plant-based diet, using a good quality butter will add amazing flavor to this keto minestrone. if you want to cut down the saturated fat. Using a mix of olive oil and butter / ghee is also delicious.
Top with fresh herbs and a good drizzle of olive oil. I like fresh basil, but parsley is also nice too.
Save Time with a Rotisserie Chicken
You can have this soup ready in 30 minutes!
Using a store bought already cooked chicken makes this soup come together very quickly! Remove the skin from the cooked chicken and shred for this recipe.
KETO CHICKEN MINESTRONE SOUP
Keto Chicken Minestrone Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or butter or ghee )
- ⅓ cup onion finely diced
- ⅓ cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup zucchini cubed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets cut really small
- ⅓ cup celery stalks trimmed, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces tomatoes canned, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ⅔ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper to taste
- 10.5 ounces chicken cooked, shredded
- 1.5 cups savoy cabbage chopped (or kale or cavolo nero)
- 7 ounces konjac penne drained, rinsed well
To Serve - Optional
- ¼ cup grated parmesan (or vegan parmesan)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil or fresh parsley
- Add 3 tablespoon of olive oil to a large soup pan. Fry the onions, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower and celery for 5 - 6 minutes on a medium heat. Add the garlic and herbs for 1 further minute.
- Add the tomato puree, canned tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove ¾ cup of minestrone soup and place in a jug. Blend with a hand blender and then add back into the soup pan. This will make your low-carb minestrone super tasty without needing a gum or thickener.
- Stir and add the chicken, greens and penne and cook for 2 - 3 more minutes until everything is cooked to your liking. Season to taste and adjust the amount of stock based on how thick you like it. Serve with optional parmesan, a good drizzle of olive oil and fresh basil or parsley.
- Storage: Tupperware in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for 3 months.