These Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes are made without any added sugar, gluten free, tree nut free, grain free and low carb too!
When you read, "Banana" in a recipe, you must think, there is no way that can be low carb, right?
Wrong. It's all in the amount and how many servings it's divided by. A little banana goes a long way in flavor and providing that authentic banana cream pie taste into a cupcake, a small amount if ripe banana is needed.
I kid you not, my own picky hubby and picky kids loved these, could easily taste the banana flavor and asked when my photos were done so they could have another!
Scooping the inside out of the cupcake is certainly a personal choice. You could leave a lot more cupcake and use less filling. You could just frost the top if you like. But for me, considering I wanted these to be like a cream pie; a little crust with a lot of cream, I went with a big scoop out of the cupcake.
What did we do with the insides of the cupcakes I scoped out, you might be wondering?
Ate them of course.
FYI: I did not exclude the inside of the cupcake that is scooped out on the nutrition info because I imagine it will be eaten at your house too.
Coconut flour is my go to choice when making recipes for my kids since my youngest has a tree nut allergy. I do love almond flour as well and when it's a single serve kind of recipe just for me or the hubby that's one I love to use. But often coconut flour is the best choice for our family. Some of you might say you hate the taste of coconut. My youngest is the greatest detector of coconut and he DID not taste any coconut. The banana is the star flavor in these cupcakes.
- You can make this without banana extract, but be warned, there may be more coconut flavor in the cupcakes.
- You can make this with a plain liquid stevia instead of vanilla stevia if you don't have any.
- The protein powder is needed and should not be eliminated. The protein powder helps provide a better texture that resembles traditional cupcakes with gluten.
- Optional topping: My Sugar-Free Vanilla Wafers!
Low Carb Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- ½ teaspoonvanilla liquid stevia
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Optional decoration: Sugar-Free Vanilla Wafers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, add the eggs, banana extract, liquid stevia and mashed banana. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk the remaining dry ingredients together.
- Combine the dry with the wet in the stand mixer and then add in the softened butter.
- Blend until combined well.
- Grease 12 cupcake liners and pour batter evenly into each.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before adding filling.
- To make filling; Add all ingredients into a stand mixer except heavy cream. Blend on high until smooth. Pour in heavy cream and blend on high until mixture is whipped.
- Use a apple corer or knife to cut out center of each cupcake. Discard center or eat!
- Place filling into a piping bag and fill center of each cupcake continuing to cover the top of each as well.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
This post has been sponsored by Bob's Red Mill with whom I am honored to be in partnership with. All opinions are 100% my own and always will be. Thank you for supporting the brands I enjoy working with.