This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Mixed Nut Florentines -Lace Cookies are a crisp, delicate, thin cookie and easy to make refined sugar free!
Trying to make recipes that each family member will enjoy for the holidays is not an easy task. Making a variety of choices so that each has their own favorite is how I manage to pull this off. Lots of baking but always worth it in the end, especially when one can make a few trays of a variety of cookies for gift giving to neighbors.
These florentines or lace cookies as they are often referred to, are a favorite of my husband. Super easy to make, but they do take some time to actually harden and crisp up.
Usually made with white refined sugar, these are made with brown rice syrup which is less sweet than even honey and lower on the glycemic index. You can also swap honey for the brown rice syrup and it will work as well. Brown rice syrup is still a type of sugar but only a small amount is used here. At least at the holiday season and cookie swapping you can feel better about indulging in a less refined cookie.
These cookies are very delicate and sticky even after of hour of cooling. Use a clean, thin spatula to remove from the baking sheet to transfer to paper towels. After another 2 hours they will be crisp, still fragile, but light and delicious almost with a maple flavor to them using the rice syrup.
I purposely left my mixed nuts somewhat larger so that my youngest would be able to see them in there and not eat any since he has a nut allergy. Finely chopping the nuts a bit smaller will make them even thinner and crisper. I have a nut free version for my son that he just loves so don’t feel too badly for him!
Look at that, so crisp I was even able to balance it on a side of a glass of milk, talent right? NOT, just some good luck right there and I snapped away!
Adapted from Giada’s Florentines
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Mixed Nut Florentines (Gluten & Refined Sugar) Free}
- 2 cups mixed roasted salted nuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup powdered erythritol
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/3 cup Half & Half or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl stir nuts with flour and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter, erythritol, brown rice syrup and cream over medium high heat until dissolved and combined well. Bring to a boil and turn off heat.
- Mix into nuts and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Let it cool 15 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, spoon mounds of mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet a few inches apart form each other as they spread.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly then holding parchment paper ends slide onto a cooling rack for 60 minutes or until completely cool. (They will still be sticky, not crisp yet).
- Carefully using a spatula remove cookies and place onto paper towels.
- Allow another 1-2 hours or until crisp before removing and storing in an airtight container or freezing.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4*