Fresh berries are the easiest party dessert and a real people pleaser as well. Most everyone loves fresh fruit and berries with balsamic vinegar will be no exception. Maybe you've never tried fresh fruit with vinegar and think it wouldn't be your cup of tea, BUT trust me on this, one bite and you'll discover what a perfect pairing it is.
Fresh strawberries with vinegar is popular only in some parts of Italy. My dad and his parents were from Sicily and then settled in Rome and he did not grow up having this. The common acid to use with fresh fruit in his house was lemon juice.
This isn't much different than using lemon juice, but the deep rich and slightly sweet flavor of the balsamic is even better in my opinion.
Even my children enjoyed this when I made it and I was very skeptical they would like it. I absolutely love it so I hope you will give it a try and win some friends over to this super easy dessert!
And look how patriotic with the red, white and blue colors when topped with whipped cream! Just right for a Memorial Day celebration! (The white cream pictures is ½ cup of heavy whipping cream with 1 packet of powdered stevia, whipped in my blender.)
Naturally Sweetened Balsamic Berries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries hulled, quartered or sliced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 packets powdered stevia or ¼ teaspoon
- optional: fresh basil or mint leaves to garnish whipped cream, black pepper
- Add berries to a serving bowl.
- Whisk balsamic vinegar and stevia together in a small bowl.
- Pour over berries and toss gently to coat.
- Add garnish if desired.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to an hour before serving or refrigerate.
- If refrigerated, toss again before serving.