Freezer cooking can seem pretty daunting if you've not ever tried to do it. I never thought I had the time to be honest. But it truly is as simple as just getting a large portion of meat cooked so you have something you can easily make a meal with in a lot less time. Always helpful on busy week nights with children who have activities!
This recipe came to be because I had recently cooked a large portion of chicken breasts and made them into burritos and froze them for lunches. But I felt like a change and what inspired me was Tammy from Skinny Mom's Kitchen. She always motivates me to want to freezer cook. I saw her share about preparing breaded chicken breasts to freeze. I decided to try my recipe for Healthy Baked Chicken Fingers only I would keep them as breasts and not tenders as I had done before. Having the breasts whole would allow me to either cut them up for a salad, use them in tortillas which my kids love, or just bake them for chicken Parmesan.
- If you use whole wheat bread crumbs with seasonings you can omit the spices.
- I had 5 whole breasts that weighed 7.5-8 oz each. I cut them in half , each weighing 3.5 oz -4 oz.
- If you don't have flax seed, replace the amount with additional bread crumbs.
- Please note that substitutions will change nutritional info.
- 4 lbs. chicken breasts, skinless and sliced in half
- ½ c. flaxseed meal
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ c. gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- ½ tbsp. parsley
- ½ tbsp. oregano
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ c. lemon juice
- Whisk the eggs and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a good nonstick baking pan.
- Dip each breast in the egg mixture then in the dry mixture and lay on the baking sheet. Do not overlap chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. If you want them crispier you can try broiling them for 5 minutes.
- Let them cool on the baking sheet and once cool place them in a labeled Ziploc freezer bag, don't forget to write the date!
- To reheat, thaw them the night before you'd like to use them and bake at 350 degrees until heated through.