Apples, oats and muffins..........make for a perfect breakfast don't you think?
The night before Easter I decided to make these wonderfully yummy and healthy muffins to have for breakfast in the morning before heading to church. We leave super early, 8am!
These muffins bake in 20 minutes.Yeah!
When I first began my blog, my original Apple Oatmeal Muffins recipe was not sugar free. It is refined sugar and flour free, but not sugar free. I used sucanat to sweeten them which is healthier and less refined than white sugar. But I had wanted to tweak the recipe a bit and try it with stevia only.
Still just as moist and delicious as the original recipe and now completely sugar free!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon [url href="http://www.iherb.com/p/5270?rcode=yaj035" target="_blank"]Sweetleaf Stevia powder[/url] (*see note)
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup oil, melted butter or coconut oil
- ¾ cup low-fat milk
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- Optional: chopped nuts, granola
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and coat a 12 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a bowl stir together the oats, flour, , cinnamon, baking soda and powder, stevia and salt.
- Add the milk, vanilla, oil, eggs and applesauce.
- Add the apple chunks.
- Add some chopped nuts on top, leave plain or even add some granola.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
*If you would prefer this recipe WITHOUT STEVIA, Check this post.
For more healthy breakfast recipes click here!
I used 2 apples and I put the chopped apple into boiling water for about 30 seconds before adding them to the cake mix. I used 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1/2 cup of LSA instead of oats. And some chopped walnuts and a bit of nutmeg. I also used 4 tablespoons of raw sugar instead of stevia. And I made a cake instead of muffins. Soooooo good!!
Edie Joy Williams
I started my own no sugar/flour processed foods eating plan (I didn't know about yours) a little over a month ago. Found this muffin recipe a few days ago and LOVE them! Then I tried substituting banana for the applesauce and added sugar free chocolate chips. Husband LOVED them too. And pumpkin in place of applesauce and added more cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and the chopped apple. Also really good! Thanks for this keeper recipe!
I used grated carrots instead of apples, and I added walnuts and nutmeg. I got a fantastic sugar-free muffin that tastes like carrot cake. Thanks!
Always delighted to find gluten-free muffin recipes! These sound delish!!
Vanessa So remember halfway through baking
Just wanted to say that if you don't eat eggs, they're still awesome without! I completely forgot the eggs when I made these, only through baking! They taste amazing, though, even without! 😀
Wow, awesome to know, thanks!
Made these last night with almond flour instead of whole wheat. Topped them with greek yoghurt and some honey. Amazing! What a great breakfast! Thank you!
Thanks for letting me know that! So glad it worked out well!