Who doesn’t love a fresh and easy salad for a hot summer day? This simple Cucumber Dill salad can be made in little time and ready when you are, to take and head to that summer BBQ!
You could eliminate the onion if your not a fan, but red onion does not have such a bite as raw regular onion and adds some pretty color and more crunch to this salad. Fresh dill chopped on top is optional or try adding basil if your not a fan of dill. You could also just toss this with the vinegar alone and call it a day and eliminate the stevia if you would rather not have a sweetness to the salad.
Many cucumbers are bitter and make salads a bit soggy. Using the English cucumber will keep the salad crispier as well as removing the seeds which has most of the bitterness and water in them. I left the skin on the English cucumbers because it’s not waxy like regular cucumbers. I would personally peel the skin since if you are using regular cucumbers.
The reason for the heavy amount of salt is to pull the bitterness out of the cucumber. Of course you can taste them and if they are fine skip the draining step and toss everything together. In the nutrition info below I’ve only calculated 1 teaspoon of salt here since most of it gets washed off and rinsed anyway.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 24
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Sodium: 390mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0
- Slice the cucumbers lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon or melon ball scooper.
- Slice thin.
- Should be about 5 cups of cucumbers.
- Place onion and cucumbers in a bowl and toss with salt.
- Place into a colander and allow to drain for 20 minutes.
- Press out liquid, rinse well with cold water.
- In a serving bowl whisk white wine vinegar and stevia together.
- Add cucumbers and onion and toss to combine well.
- Top with fresh dill and lemon.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Other recipes you might like:
- Cucumber Tomato Feta salad
- Broccoli Salad with Honey Yogurt Dressing
- Carrot Apple Mint Slaw
- Watermelon Cantaloupe Berry Mint Salad