Grilled Chicken Broccoli Slaw Salad is a low carb hearty main dish meal!
It’s true we eat with our eyes and I’m sure you’ve also heard, eat the rainbow right? Colors make a world of difference to whether a meal looks inviting or you’d rather pass. Healthy salad or not, if it looks pretty you’ll want to eat it. This recipe is for all you lettuce haters! No lettuce around here. Broccoli slaw is a nice change of pace and provides just the right crunch factor. Of course if you’re not a fan of broccoli slaw try coleslaw or just use lettuce of choice. This recipe is very versatile!
I visit Trader Joes weekly as it is only 10 minutes away for me and that is where I spied the broccoli slaw in a package. Now I’ve seen it more than once in the produce section, but had not yet decided what I wanted to do with it. On this occasion I just grabbed it and improvised with what I had at home. You can change out the tomatoes for something else, maybe peppers if you like. I added the nuts because I love a crunchy salad. You could also eliminate the chicken breast and use edamame if you like. I just wanted a fresh new salad to sink my teeth into and this is what I’ve brought you today. If you want to reduce the amount of fat in the salad, just remove the nuts. But honestly, it’s a healthy fat so I wouldn’t be so concerned with eating the fat in this salad. There are plenty of other fats to worry about and it’s really the amount of portion you consume anyway. So enjoy the nuts friends!
Hope you enjoy this simple and easy healthy creation!
Notes on Substitutions:
- If you don’t have rice vinegar you can use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- If you can’t find broccoli slaw, substitute with coleslaw.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 1/2cups
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1g
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 952mg
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 20g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- 1 (8 ounce) chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12ounce) bag Broccoli Slaw
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh peeled, grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon stevia
- Preheat indoor griddle pan or outdoor grill and salt and pepper each side of chicken breast.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through and no longer pink. Internal temperature should read 165 degrees. Rest meat for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Chop grilled chicken and toss with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk dressing ingredients together and toss with salad.
- Serve or refrigerate.