Low Fat Crock Pot Taco Soup is a super easy meal to throw together and let the slow cooker do the rest!
Are you a crock pot lover? Maybe you’ve had some bad experiences with your slow cooker and just haven’t found a recipe that came out well. The biggest culprit of crock pot mishaps is having food come out dry!! Who loves that?? Not I! Crock Pot fails are the biggest reason most of us won’t choose to use this handy kitchen appliance. BUT if you are willing to give the crock pot another chance, this is a recipe that will make your family sings praises to you!
My family loves tacos so this was an easy recipe to work out so that everyone would enjoy it, even the non bean loving children! Adapted from my Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili which they love, and of course just calling it taco soup made them want to try it. Be aware though this recipe is on the spicy side. You can reduce the spices by eliminating the salsa, using only one can of diced tomatoes with green chili’s or reducing the chili powder used. Now if you ask my hubby and my youngest child who is 7, they will say it isn’t spicy at all. My daughter, my teen and myself all noticed the spice but it wasn’t too overpowering. So play around with the seasonings and adjust to your liking.
The chips you see here are actually Rice Chips! Have you seen these?
I love them! Made with brown rice, rice flour, safflower and sunflower oil, sesame seeds and salt! I found them at Trader Joes, Whole Foods and even Aldi’s believe it or not!
Just as an FYI, toppings are not included in the nutrition info. Just so you know, the topping choices are what entice my kids to eat soup!
However much spice you decide, it will be a delicious meal that will also provide some left overs, and who doesn’t enjoy that?!
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 215
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 27.5g
- Sugar: 7.7g
- Sodium: 881mg
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 cans (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chili’s
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 cups water to thin out to liking
- Optional Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, scallions, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado
- In a large saute pan, add oil, garlic and onion and cook until softened.
- Add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add all remaining ingredients into crock pot.
- Cook on low 4 hour- 6 hours.
- Use water to thin out soup if desired.
- Add optional toppings and enjoy!