This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Looking for a sweet treat for you lovies on Valentine’s day?? This is not only sweet, it is much healthier than anything you can buy at a store.
No it’s certainly not low in calories or fat, but it is refined sugar free and gluten free!
A little indulgence for Valentine’s Day is needed, don’t you think?
I’ve made them tree times now until I finally got the texture and taste just right. I adapted my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cake recipe for the idea of the cookie dough. It is JUST perfect now, JUST perfect!
I’ve made them with oat flour and King Arthur Gluten Free Flour and we liked the King Arthur better. I’ve also made them with regular honey and creamed honey which is slightly thicker. The creamed honey was found at Whole Foods Market and although expensive provides a nice thick texture which gives the dough a bit more firmness when rolling.
They don’t have to be perfect looking and you can even roll them smaller if you want to get more than 12, but this is what I went with, just big enough!
Notes on Chocolate Chips:
- You can use whatever chocolate chips you like. For allergy friendly, Enjoy Life is Nut, Soy & Dairy Free. I found sugar free chocolate chips by the brand Lily’s sweetened with stevia at Whole Foods. A reader mentioned that Grain Sweetened chocolate chips have been found at the Atkin’s store online.
- Nutrition Info has been updated 11/2013 using sugar free chocolate chips.
- To make these Completely Sugar-Free sub the honey with Swerve or Truvia.
Other Valentine Treats you might like:
- Light Berry Frozen Yogurt
- Valentine Coconut Filled Candy
- Healthy Chocolate Pudding Parfaits
- Valentine Peanut Butter Cups
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles [Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free]
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup honey or creamed clover honey
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour or flour of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Truffle Coating
- 6 ounces sugar free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Or for a sugar free version use No Sugar Added"]Chocolate Hardening Sauce [aka Magic shell]
- optional toppings: chopped nuts mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut, sprinkles
- In a small bowl mix together butter, honey, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Once mixture is smooth, stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll into 12 balls.
- Melt carob or chocolate chips with coconut oil in a sauce pan or microwave.
- Stir until smooth.
- One at a time, drop a truffle into the melted coating, use a fork to roll it around until coated.
- Lift truffle with fork and tap gently on side of bowl to let excess drip.
- Place truffle on a baking sheet lined with waxed or parchment paper.
- Continue with the rest of the truffles and add any toppings if desired. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 5*