A clean eating chocolate chip cookie dough cake that is healthy and incredibly moist and delicious!
This cake is made with whole wheat flour, egg whites and no white refined sugar that actually looks and tastes amazing?
Can it be real?? YES and yes again!
You can't have a birthday without having cake at least in my opinion anyway. Recently, two days after Thanksgiving to be exact, I celebrate mine and this is what I made!
No one could tell it was made with healthier ingredients. It certainly didn't lack in fudgy chocolatey taste!
There are a few steps to making this awesome healthy cake but well worth your time!
You start by making these little incredible cookie dough bites that you can sneak a taste if you like since they have no eggs in them!
After they freeze for about 15 minutes you plop them in your cake batter and then bake! Quite simple really.
Once cooled a bit you add some delicious chocolate syrup on top! A little Indulgence is needed for birthdays don't you think?
Nutrition Info (using brown rice syrup sweetener)
Servings: 12* Calories per serving: 350* Fat: 12g* Cholesterol: 5mg* Sodium: 338mg* Carbs: 58g* Fiber: 4g* Sugars: 29g* Protein: 8g* Points+: 10*
*Recipe Adapted from The Best Of CleanEating2.
Clean Eating Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- 2 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup brown rice syrup or honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- 12 egg whites or 1 ¾ cup 100% pasteurized egg whites
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup or honey or sucanat
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips grain sweetened or 70% cocoa or higher, or sugar free if you can find them
- Chocolate Syrup
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk 1%
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make chocolate chip cookie dough first by combining all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Once combined stir in chocolate chips. lay waxed paper onto a baking sheet and using a tablespoon drop cookie dough onto sheet. Make 16.
- Cover loosely with waxed paper and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes. Prepare chocolate cake: In a large bowl combine first 5 ingredients together. In a small bowl, mix together the next 6 ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric beater, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Batter may be a little lumpy, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a 10 inch spring form nonstick pan.
- Remove cookie dough from freezer and evenly drop into cake batter.
- Bake 45 minutes or until top of cake cracks and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for an hour on a wire rack.
- Once cooling, make the chocolate drizzle by set a small bowl over a pot of barely simmering water.
- Add chocolate and continue to stir until melted.
- Add milk until smooth.
- Drizzle over cake and let cool.
I am looking forward to making this for my daughter's birthday. I am having to eliminate white flour from our diet, what exactly is white whole wheat flour? Is it in the white flour family?
It's actually just a very fine form of whole wheat flour, it is still not as processed and refined and white flour.
hi.. would GF flour be ok to substitute? for the Vanilla liquid stevia.. could i use vanilla extract and a packet of stevia? thank you !
I've not tried this with gluten free flourbut please let me know if you do. Yes I think vanilla extract and stevia packets would work.
I made this cake for my niece's birthday and, sorry to say, it does not taste good. Thank goodness we had ice cream with it, and I put buttercream iceing on top of it. It saved the cake in the end. The middle didn't cook though but I didn't want it to cook for much longer. I will not be making this again or giving this recipe to anyone.
I'm sorry you had trouble with the cake not cooking in the middle. Did you make substitutions? Use a different sweetener?