Cauliflower soup that’s creamy without the cream and topped with crispy shallots is a hearty lunch without the meat!
Cauliflower is vegetable that either you love or you hate. Trying different ways to incorporate it your life but be all the change that’s needed for you to really love it. Serving it as a soup with a few other delicious ingredients might completely change your mind to this root veggie.
You can decide to go for complete creaminess in texture or leave some chunky bites of florets, but this soup is luscious and will leave you licking that spoon for every drop!
Seen here with lots of pepper, a few drops of hot sauce and some crispy shallots on top!! Made without adding any cream at all but truly creamy and at only 180 calories per serving a very light soup as well!
If my hubby wasn’t home on the day I made this, I would have made it completely creamy without chunks, but I knew he would not even try it if it wasn’t chunky or didn’t have some sort of other texture in it. Then he tried it. And he loved it. For the man who hates soups that says a lot!
And I must credit my friend Jeanette from Jeanette’s Healthy Living who often makes creamy soups without cream and gave me the idea for the title “Creamy ‘Creamless’ Soup”!
- If you don’t have arrowroot powder which is like a thickening agent, you can use cornstarch in it’s place.
- You could also substitute the coconut oil for butter if you like.
- This soup was of course intended for just me and the hubby and not the children but I did ask if they wanted a bite, HA!
- If you’re looking for ideas to get them to try cauliflower here are some recipes my kids love: Oven Fried Broccoli & Cauliflower Florets and Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon Tahini Dip
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Creamy "Creamless" Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Shallots
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 1 head cauliflower broken into florets (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 1/2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
In a small bowl stir shallot with 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and add shallots and cook until crisp. Remove and set aside.
Add 2 more tablespoons coconut oil, cauliflower florets and diced onion and cook until lightly browned.
Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, cover pot and cook 15 minutes until completely tender.
Remove half the florets to a blender and remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth. Cover with a clean towel and lift one corner of lid of blender to release heat while processing.
Process until smooth and return to Dutch oven.
(If you'd like no chunks of florets remove the rest to process in the blender before adding pureed cauliflower back to the pot.)
Bring the soup to a low simmer and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder until mixture thickens.
Add salt and pepper, taste and adjust.
Serve with crispy shallots and hot sauce if desired.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 5*