This apple cake taste like an apple pie in sponge cake form! Made gluten free and with no added sugars, just some apples and unsweetened applesauce, it's a perfect after school snack for the kids!
It's a beautiful thing when recipes work as planned and written. Not so fun when you expected a recipe to be perfect yet falls short in some way and you're back to the drawing board. This cake is that recipe for me, but today I'm happily sharing the best out of 3 attempts for a moist, spongey, apple flavored cake!
The first attempt was actually for more of a apple bar than a cake and I made it in a 9 by 13 pan, but once I saw how nicely it rose and was fluffy and light in texture, I change my mind. I don't have too many cake recipes on my blog so cake it was going to become! The second and third attempts were on perfecting the moistness in the cake, my pet peeve is anything DRY!
After getting the verdicts of the picky hubby and children, third time was a charm and with the cream cheese frosting, oh my even better!
If you're going apple picking any time in the next few months this recipe is perfect to make some homemade crock pot applesauce to use in the cake and then some chopped apples to add in some texture. I actually would use more chopped apples than I've written in the recipe only because, well, I like the chunks. But if you're not a fan of chunky apple in cake then keep it as written in the recipe for a just a few pieces mixed in throughout the cake.
You need to settle a "discussion" here I had with my hubby about this cake.
I actually wanted to title the recipe Apple Sponge cake, but that hubby of mine thinks it's not quite a sponge cake in his opinion. He just felt it was denser than a typical sponge cake. Well I'd love for you to make it and tell me what you think because I certainly feel it is sponge cake in texture.
See the awesome little holes here and there? That's why I believe it's sponge cake material!
All in all the hubby even went for a second piece so I know he loved it regardless of the "discussion" we had in the naming of the cake. The picky teen, daughter and little man all loved it as well. Although the little man is actually not a fan of cream cheese frosting he preferred it without frosting. You can decide, it's totally optional, but my daughter, hubby and teen loved it with the frosting.
Please note: Nutritional Information is without the vanilla cream cheese frosting.
Gluten Free Apple Cake
- 1 cup gluten free flour or oat flour
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup erythritol I use Swerve
- 6 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 2%
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or a mixture of cinnamon nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup chopped apple without skin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the first 6 dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients, except the chopped apple until combined well.
- Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
- Drop in the chopped apple into the batter.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy with my Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.