A healthy stuffed pepper for only 209 calories per serving! Adding a few distinct ingredients make this a Greek Style masterpiece!
This is probably the easiest stuffed pepper you will ever make. To eliminate the need for oil, all ingredients are mixed in a bowl together and poured into the pepper and then baked! Super easy, super tasty!
The hubby of mine is a big beef eater, not crazy about sun dried tomatoes or quinoa but I served this to him anyway. His only compliant was the onions. He wasn't crazy about the fact that the onions were a bit crunchy. He didn't even realize the quinoa was in there and since he isn't a fan of quinoa anyway, I didn't share it!
I've provided substitutions below but honestly I love them the way I shared the recipe. Make any substitutions for your family you like.
A Few Notes:
- You can saute the chopped onions in 2 teaspoons of oil for a more softer onion in the stuffed pepper.
- Quinoa must be cooked before adding it to the stuffed pepper. Follow package instructions to cook quinoa. You can also substitute the cooked quinoa for brown rice.
- You can use fresh spinach instead of frozen, but chop it first and saute it with the onion to wilt it.
- You can eliminate the sun dried tomatoes if you're not a fan, or substitute with roasted red peppers.
Greek Style Quinoa Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers halved
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1 egg beaten
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¾ cup crumbled feta divided
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes drained, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional:¼ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Toppings: feta scallions, marinara sauce, diced tomatoes
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place sliced peppers, cut side down into the dish.
- Add ½ cup of water to bottom of dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes. (You can skip this step and just bake peppers for longer in the oven until tender.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine onion, chicken, egg, spinach, and quinoa.
- Add ½ cup of feta, sun dried tomatoes and seasonings to the chicken mixture. Fill each pepper half with mixture and top with remaining feta cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake additional 15-20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Add additional toppings and serve!
*Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger
I want to make these today...they look fabulous. Just wondering....do you have to cook the ground chicken first?
Nope the chicken cooks in the peppers, no need to precook.
Made this for dinner last night. It is definitely a keeper. Love it, love it, love it 🙂
That's awesome, so happy you liked it!
I love the fact that you said your husband doesn't like quinoa but liked these anyway! They look amazing and I have a fondness for stuffed peppers. My husband claims to not like them, but I'm going to try this out on him anyway. Love your website!
yep he didn't even know it was in there! thank you!
How do I print? It's not working
What happened to your "Pin it" link? I haven't been able to pin your posts from my phone lately...
Love your recipes, thanks for sharing them!
We updated the plugins and it still pops up but has moved to the center or right of each picture across the top.
I want to make these as soon as I get some more quinoa! They look fabulous!
I may even do the tomatoes AND red pepper since I love both! And of course, I will have to add some Cavender's Greek seasoning, lol! Calorie counts/nutrition stats are awesome too- would they change much if I used 99 or 97% lean ground turkey? I usually can find that easier than chicken, unless I do it myself - and I don't like to when I am short on time, plus cleaning my food processor!
Thanks for recipe!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance
Looks delicious. I love stuffed peppers in general, but this looks particularly good. Great combination of ingredients!