This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Easy Instant Pot, or rather, Electric Pressure cooker recipe, for a Whole Chicken and Low Carb Gravy is perfect for any busy person when weeknight dinners are difficult because time is short. This can be made from start to finish in under an hour for any weeknight!
When it comes to weeknight meals, I’ve rarely got hours to prepare, more like less than an hour to sometimes just 30 minutes to get dinner on the table. Most nights we are all going in different directions for soccer, dance, scouts, meetings, etc. I’ve got to be prepared for changes that cause a disruption to a meal plan.
One thing I am always trying my best to do is to make sure my protein for the dinner is thawed out and ready to go. If I don’t have a protein for the menu plan, I’m out of luck and running to the market is the last thing I want to do when I’m always racing the clock.
I make whole roasted chickens in the oven often, but many times it might be on the weekend when I’m planning on being home a few hours and can have the oven running while I go about the chores. But during the week is much harder. While my hubby and kids do love the roasted chicken chicken I am pleased to say they loved this chicken just as much because of the gravy they poured all over it.
There is truly something to be said when you can get a juicy chicken, especially the breast, cooked perfectly in under an hour. Like I said, we do love roasting but it can take up to 2 hours and many of us just aren’t home long enough to get it together for that.
I’ve tried a whole chicken in the crock pot but even that was challenging for me to get it all put together in a morning before heading out the door. It wasn’t my families favorite way to eat chicken. But this……the Instant Pot has changed our world!
Even though it doesn’t give you a crispy skin, boy it is ever delicious anyway!
The Instant Pot is the way to get dinner on the table fast!
- Nutrition Info is including gravy and chicken serving as well as the skin on the chicken.
- If you are looking to reduce the fat, remove the skin from the chicken.
- If you have a smaller chicken weighing 4-5 pounds I would suggest reducing the cooking time to 25-30 minutes.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken and Low Carb Gravy
- 6.5 pound whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp guar gum
- Rub 1 tablespoon of oil all over the chicken and place the rest of the oil in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Mix the dry seasonings together and sprinkle all over the chicken.
- Press "Saute" and heat the oil, then add the whole chicken into the pot, breast side down. Hit "cancel".
- Give it 5 minutes to brown then flip the chicken over and pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover your pot and Press "Manual" and timer for 40 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for pressure then the timer will begin.
- Once time is done, hit "Cancel" and manually release pressure.
- Be careful of the steam when removing the cover of the pot.
- Remove chicken from the pot to make the gravy.
- Sprinkle the guar gum over the hot broth in the pot and stir continually to thicken. If it's not thickening as quick as you'd like, simple hit "saute" to warm the broth and continue to stir until the gravy is thickened. You could also add 1 more teaspoon of guar gum if it's not as thick as you'd like.
- Serve with gravy and a sprinkle of chopped parsley if desired.