This Cheesy Creamed Spinach is a low carb and gluten free, healthier copycat version of the Boston market classic creamed spinach!
Creamy, cheesy spinach has been a staple in our house for years. My kids have grown up eating spinach this way and love it every week I make it as a side for dinner.
I have no shame in getting my kids to eat spinach this way, full of cheese and ever so creamy! With Halloween right around the corner and all the candy that comes with it, filling my kids up with a fantastic green veggie is the best way I know how to keep them healthy.
It all starts with the sauce of course and a few special seasonings makes this not only delicious, but quick and easy on any weeknight.
Once the cheese sauce is ready, which takes just a few minutes, you simply stir in fresh spinach leaves. One pan is all you need, less dishes, less cleaning up!
Using frozen spinach is also an option and would work as well. Just let it thaw and squeeze out as much liquid as possible before adding to the cheese sauce.
Horizon products are always my first choice when it comes to creating creamy dishes. Heavy cream would also work, but since I use Horizon Half & Half in my coffee, I always have this on hand. It is perfect for this cheesy sauce, with a combo of a little cream, a little milk, and all blended with a little cheese. It's a winning combination!
Making recipes that make my kids eat veggies and actually rave about how much they love any veggies is always music to my ears as a mom. Simple recipes like this one I'm sharing today is also how I like to roll on busy weeknights when I've got little time in the kitchen before heading out the door to one or more activities for my kids. Add a protein and dinner is served!
Like I mentioned above, this recipe is pretty adaptable to any substitution for the Half & Half. You could sub Horizon Heavy Cream or even Horizon Milk as well. The cheese I used is also easily substituted, try gouda or even smoked mozzarella for different flavor.
Low Carb Boston Market Copycat Creamed Spinach
- 2 tablespoon Horizon Butter
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups Horizon Half & Half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 8 ounces Havarti cheese
- 16 ounces fresh spinach
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add the shallots and garlic.
- Cook until tender then pour in the Half & Half and reduce to low heat.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Add in the Havarti cheese and cook on low until it's melted and combined throughout.
- Once melted add in the spinach and toss together until all the spinach has been coated with the cheese.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.