This tasty low carb keto asparagus tart is simple to make and a wonderful make ahead meal!
Pie versus Tart
While pies and tarts might seem pretty similar as they both have a filling and a crust, there are differences between the two. Both pies and tarts can be sweet or savory filling, but a pie can have just a bottom crust, just a top crust or both and usually is served in a pie dish. A tart only has a bottom crust and is baked in a pan with shallow sides and a bottom that is removable so you can see the beautiful crust when serving.
I've got many pie recipes and one of my favorites as well as my families favorite is my savory Italian Sausage Quiche.
3 Ingredient Pie Crust
Pies and tarts always have a delicious crust, but a pie crust has more of a flaky crust while a tart crust is a bit more firm. Both are a delicious way to enjoy fresh seasonal vegetables and fruits all presented beautifully in a tasty crust.
If you have tree nut allergies in the family, please use my Coconut Flour Pie Crust in place of the almond flour crust below.
Today's recipe is very versatile with the choice of vegetables you like. If you're not a fan of asparagus swap it with roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts or even sautéed or grilled zucchini. You can really choose any veggies you love. If you want to add some more protein, I think salmon would be delicious or even a simple shredded rotisserie chicken to save on time.
A simple tart like this is perfect for a brunch idea or a light lunch with a nice salad for when you have company. Here are some salads ideas that would go nicely with this tart:
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb keto dinner meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Low Carb Keto Asparagus Tart
Low Carb Keto Asparagus Tart
- ¾ cup almond flour or 170 grams
- 3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 slices prosciutto or 60 grams
- 10 spears asparagus or 160 grams
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 375⁰ F.
- Place all of the crust ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until well combined.
- Using your fingers (you can put a bit of oil on them if the dough is too sticky) firmly and evenly press the dough into the tart pan, covering the bottom and the sides.
- Prick the base with a fork and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce temperature to 350⁰ F.
- Using a whisk or your stand mixer on low, combine ricotta, cream, eggs and seasoning and mix until it is smooth and creamy.
- Cut the tops off the asparagus spears and slice the stems into small pieces. Tear the prosciutto into small chunks.
- Place the asparagus spear sections and half of the prosciutto into the tart shell, spreading it out evenly.
- Pour the ricotta mixture over the tart case and then top with the remaining asparagus and prosciutto.
- Finish with a grind of black pepper and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Naomi is the force behind Naomi Sherman | Food Creative. She is passionate about recipe development, food photography and styling. An accomplished home cook who was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease eight years ago, Naomi started to explore the connection between healthy, whole food and her symptoms, and a new love was born. She fiercely believes that what you put in your body is one of the most important factors for your physical, and mental, wellbeing.