This Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust is perfect for either sweet or savory pies! It's keto, gluten free, grain free, low carb and perfect for those who have tree nut allergies and can't use almond flour.
Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Have you struggled to find a healthy, nut free, low carb pie crust you can literally use for anything? Don't you wish there was just one type of pie crust that was fool proof and picky family approved?
SEARCH NO FURTHER!! The Struggle is OVER! I bring you my low carb sweet or savory coconut flour pie crust!
It's taken me plenty of time but it's been worth it experimenting because I FINALLY can share this pie crust I've been using for weeks from everything sweet to savory. My family never gets sick of it. It's perfectly flaky and delicious!
Someone in your family doesn't like coconut? No worries because I have tested this with the worst coconut detector of all, my youngest child. You know the one with the tree nut allergy I'm always making recipes for? Yep. He's eaten this 3 times and still has no idea it's made with coconut flour!
It's taken me a long time to learn how to work with coconut flour. I've had a love hate relationship with it forever. I think we are finally beloved friends!
Although my youngest has a tree nut and peanut allergy, he also really hates the taste of coconut. Disguising it, hiding it, whatever I can do I do, but I must use it as I am so limited on making low carb recipes without it. I do also use sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame, but the coconut flour color is the perfect one for a flaky pie crust.
I have plenty of other pie crusts as well, not using coconut flour as the main ingredient:
- Sunflower seed pie crust
- Grain Free Chocolate Pie Crust
- No Bake Chocolate Pie Crust
- Cream Cheese No Roll Pie Crust
I do love those no bake crusts but still right now this pie crust is our favorite!
When my Italian mother who is NOT low carb told me the crust and this Lemon Cream Pie above was phenomenal and perfectly flaky, I knew it was a winner!
Recipes I've made with this crust so far:
Keto Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla extract in a food processor or stand mixer.
- In another bowl whisk the remaining ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the dry and wet mixture into a food processor.
- Add the cubed butter.
- Process by pulsing until it looks like crumbles.
- Spray a pie plate with cooking spray and pour crumbles into pie plate.
- Press with hands to form dough right in the pie plate. Alternately you can also roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper and flip over into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Using a fork randomly make holes into the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the crust 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil if using this for a savory or sweet pie that needs to be baked again, otherwise it will burn.
- Once cooled out of the oven, add your filling.
- I have not subbed almond flour with the coconut flour and I would not recommend it as I haven't tried it. This crust is perfect as is.
- If you want a savory pie crust, I would eliminate the vanilla extract and the Swerve sweetener.
- I've also used softened butter instead of cold butter the first time I made this. I found the cold butter and food processor method worked better and provided a less crumbly dough to place in the pie plate.
- The third time I made this I added the oil simply because, even with the butter I felt the coconut flour can be so absorbent and dry that little bit of oil really helps.
- My youngest HATES all things coconut and never noticed it any of the times I've made this crust! I never told him either!
- This pie crust recipe was first published in March of 2016 and updated in 2018 with a video.