Granola is a much loved snack among many! Take it on the run, enjoy it over yogurt, eat with milk like cereal, pack it for a snack on a long trip, so many ways to enjoy it!
Many times store bought granola is just plain old sugar coated oats and nuts. I'm not a fan of that. One reason is my boys have nut allergies, and another of course as my youngest child would say, "Your SUGAR-FREE mom, you don't like sugar right?" And he's right to a point. It's not that I don't like it, it's that I can't have white refined sugar in my life. It causes me cravings like a person addicted to alcohol or drugs, so I won't use it in my recipes, only natural sweeteners for this momma!
This recipe is adapted from my original review of a clean eating Oat & Granola I found in Tosca Reno's book, "Your Best Body Now" . It contained peanut butter, but was super tasty.
This recipe follows almost the same format, but it is not meant to form a bar. This is meant to be a crumbly mixture. Enjoy it with unsweetened almond milk for breakfast or over yogurt!
Quick Note on Substitutions:
- You can change the tahini to peanut butter or another nut butter of choice.
- You can change the dried fruit and replace with nuts if desired.
- If you are sensitive to gluten or have celiacs be sure your rolled oats are labeled as gluten free.
If you're watching carbs, simply eliminate the dried fruit used and add more pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds instead.
Nut Free Gluten Free Honey Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla stevia
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dried apricots chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup tahini sesame seed spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the first 9 ingredients together and spread on baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes. In another bowl mixed the dried fruits with tahini.
- Add toasted mixture with dried fruit. Mix well.
- Spread onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes, stir mixture and continue to bake another 10 minutes or until toasted and browned.
Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living
I'd love a stash of this for mixing in with Greek yogurt in the morning!
It's quite delicious thank you Jeanette!