This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This easy Crock Pot recipe for Balsamic Caprese Stuffed Chicken Thighs is out of this world delicious! It’s also low carb, gluten free and grain free! Quick Skillet directions also provided!
I don’t know what it is about juicy chicken thighs, but I have an insane love affair with them. I want the meat falling apart and the slow cooker is always the way I can make this happen. If you’re new around here you may not know about my crazy viral recipe for Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken Thighs. One of the best around and with rave reviews. I decided to take that recipe and step it up a notch by stuffing those thighs!
I did ask on Facebook whether more of you were interested in a Crock pot recipe or a quick skillet recipe. It was quite the tie but in the end more of you selected the Crock pot version, BUT i have great news, I’ve tried the Quick Skillet Approach with these and it’s just as good! So below you will find, directions for both methods! In my hubby’s opinion they taste the same with either cooking method.
Caprese is just my favorite ingredients to use always! Fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, it’s just always good! But here in this recipe the fresh tomatoes would have resulted in a watery center which is not ideal for stuffing. Sun dried tomatoes work perfectly since they are not watery like fresh and you just need a small amount to get that familiar tomato taste.
While the slow cooker doesn’t get you as crisp an outside as using the skillet, because of thighs sitting in that balasmic vinegar in the slow cooker, the bottom makes for the best crispy edges.
So whether you use quick skillet or slow cooker, either option is tasty!
Check out my step by step in this video!
No time to make this in the morning? No problem! Here’s how to make this as a Quick Skillet under 30 minute meal on any weeknight!
QUICK SKILLET COOKING METHOD
- Prepare thighs as recipe indicates.
- Heat garlic cloves and oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook thighs on each side for about 3-5 minutes to brown them.
- Cover and lower temperature to medium low, continue to cook 15-20 minutes.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Crock Pot Balsamic Caprese Stuffed Chicken Thighs
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs about 6 thighs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pound out chicken thighs between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Whisk together garlic powder, Italian seasonings, salt, pepper and minced dried onion.
- Rub both sides of chicken thighs with seasoning. Set aside.
- Place garlic cloves and oil in the bottom of the crock pot and spread around all over.
- Divide the basil leaves and place 4-5 in the middle of each thigh.
- Top with 1/2 tbsp of sun dried tomatoes for each thigh.
- Place a slice of mozzarella over each thigh and roll up. Secure with toothpick.
- Place thighs into slow cooker.
- Pour balsamic vinegar over thighs.
- Cover and cook on high 3 hours or low 6 hours.
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
Net Carbs: 6.9g