This Coffee Roll Egg Custard is sugar-free, gluten free and so low in carbs you won't even believe it!
When you can enjoy a dessert that tastes like a coffee roll, but is a creamy custard that is less than 180 calories and just a HALF gram of carbs, well that my friends is a priceless gift!
Not too many recipes out there that can be as low as that in carbs and still be the most delicious, creamiest dessert you've ever placed on your spoon and in your mouth!
Obviously if you're not quite a coffee lover as I am, this recipe may not excite you.
BUT for those that are true coffee addicts, well, this will be your new Go -To weekly dessert that you may just keep well stocked in the fridge!
I like to flip mine out of the dish to enjoy with some whipped cream on top. Totally up to you. Eating it from the dish is just as fine and doesn't dirty another dish either.
But when I flip it over, (and if you don't grease the dish you make these in well enough these won't flip over easily), you will see the awesome coffee color that was baked at the bottom of the custard.
Right side up or upside down, however you desire to eat it, I bet you will be making this recipe a whole lot!
I'm partial to upside down so I can see all that coffee goodness on top or rather, on the bottom!
It's simple enough and you just need a few key ingredients to have on hand to make this anytime you want. 🙂
- You can make this using unflavored protein powder.
- You can make this using plain stevia instead of the flavored I used.
- You can replace the stevia and use another sweetener of choice that equals about ½ cup of traditional sugar.
- I personally wouldn't replace the heavy cream, but you could use all unsweetened almond milk, light cream or regular milk if you wanted to reduce the fat.
Sugar-Free Low Carb Coffee Roll Egg Custard
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon vanilla whey protein powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon liquid stevia or vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer add eggs, protein powder, salt, instant espresso, cinnamon and stevia.
- Pour the almond milk, cream and coffee into a small saucepan over low heat on the stove.
- Stirring constantly, heat till steaming, do not boil.
- Pour a small amount into the stand mixer to temper the egg mixture.
- Gradually pour in the rest in the mixer and blend on low until combined.
- Pour this mixture into 4 greased ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Pour hot water half way up sides of ramekins in baking dish.
- Sprinkle a little sugar free brown sugar substitute over each if you desire.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool, then place some plastic wrap directly onto the custard so it doesn't develop a skin.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.