These Keto Italian Egg Biscuits are low carb, sugar free, gluten free and with an incredible texture so delicious and close to traditional Italian egg biscuit cookies you will be amazed!
Italian Egg Biscuits
Easter is coming and one cookie that is always on our Easter dessert table are these beautiful Italian Egg Biscuits. It's been a pretty long time since I've actually had a traditional one with sugar, probably been over 15 years now, but I do remember that perfect texture and subtle sweetness. It was kind of dense, but light at the same time. Hard to explain if you've never tried them, but oh so memorable.
My grandmother would make them every Easter and since she's passed my mother has carried on that tradition, but this year it was my turn. Mom had other obligations and our Italian egg biscuits were not on her list. Of course I knew I had to try my best to make not only my mother, but the legacy of my grandmother proud. And I believe she would be with these cookies.
Making traditional favorites into low carb recipes hasn't been easy but I always seem to find a way. I still want to feel like I'm not missing out on anything living a low carb lifestyle!
That round biscuit shape is one way they are unique and stand out from other cookies. Topped with a simple sugar-free glaze and a few natural sprinkles, these are festive and ready for Easter!
My children and husband thought they were delicious and just as good as the traditional ones they remember from Easters past. Hope you enjoy these lovely cookies on your Easter table!
- You can swap out the confectioners Swerve sweetener I used for another sugar free granulated sweetener of choice. I like the fine texture the confectioners sweetener provides better than anything else I've tried.
- Swerve is less sweet than most sugar free granulated or confectioners sweeteners so I would recommend if using something else to eliminate the vanilla stevia or these might be too sweet.
- These can be baked then frozen and thawed for when you are ready to serve.
Keto Italian Egg Biscuits
Keto Italian Egg Biscuits
- 1 cup Swerve Confectioners
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, mix the eggs, butter, vanilla and almond extract, vanilla stevia and milk.
- Whisk the flours, protein powder, confectioners sweetener, baking powder and salt together then mix with wet ingredients until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop and make 36 mounds of batter placing on two parchment lined baking sheet pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the glaze by stirring the ingredients together until smooth.
- Dip the cooled cookies into the glaze, add sprinkled if desired and allow to set before storing in an airtight container.
- If you want more of a frosting look instead of a glaze, as you see from my pics, I swapped the almond milk with whole milk.
- This recipe was first published in April 2017 using Bob's Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour and then adapted in March 2018 using an almond and coconut flour ratio I felt was best for the proper texture of this cookie.
- Reposted with video in April 2019.