This tapioca pudding is a light dessert or snack for anytime of the day for less than 60 calories per serving and only 1 Weight Watcher Points Plus!!!
It’s made here with coconut milk for a dairy free version or you can make it with 1% milk. Both are equally delicious! The coconut milk provides a much thicker pudding and the 1% milk creates a more loose and yogurt style texture. Either option is terrific!
My boys absolutely love tapioca so I was on a mission to make my own. I purchased organic small pearl tapioca, a 6 ounce box at Whole Foods and adapted the recipe right from the back of their box. I’ve made this recipe 3 times with that little box before I found the perfect combination of stevia to use.
The first time I made it I used coconut milk for myself and powdered stevia which is what is pictured. I wasn’t even a fan as the taste is so delicate, the powdered stevia flavor wasn’t easily masked as it often is in many of the baking recipes I use it for. So my trusted liquid stevia was my next option. I used Half and Half as I was out of milk which made a nice and creamy pudding. Adding even too much vanilla creme stevia made it way to sweet, but I was not going to quit! The last time I made it with 1% milk and reduced the amount of stevia to what you see in the recipe below,.
If I’m feeling ambitious I will try again using unsweetened almond milk for myself. Since my boys have a nut allergy and wouldn’t be able to have it this way, I chose the milk. It makes 4 servings or you could double the recipe and have more in your servings. Enjoy!
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons small pearl tapioca
- 2/3 cup milk, 1% or coconut milk for dairy free option
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Whisk in tapioca pearls and continue to stir frequently for 17 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Whisk in milk, salt and stevia and continue to stir frequently for another 10 minutes. Pour into serving bowls and refrigerate covered until chilled.
- Makes 1 1/4 cups total.