This Low Carb Mexican Tamale Skillet Pie is Gluten Free and Grain Free too!
What is it about Mexican food that makes you want to indulge?
Is it the spicy flavors or all the cheese?
Whatever it may be that makes you swoon, this Mexican Skillet pie is anything but sinful!
A few weekends ago my family and I went camping with some other families and we always plan our meals together.
Everyone decided a night of Mexican foods would be fun and something different to try. I was all for this as I had this idea for a skillet tamale pie on my “foodie to-do” list for some time now.
Now camping you may think, “How in the world can be be cooked?”. Of course I cooked it ahead and heated it up when we got there for the night.
I guess if you’re really outdoorsy and know how to use a dutch oven over a fire pit, then by all means try this recipe and let me know how it worked for you. 🙂
For the rest of us, oven cooking is just fine!
The best part about making this dish is that it’s done all in one skillet!!!
The cornbread is prepared in the skillet and once partially cooked, the rest of the ingredients just get topped over it!
It’s simple and delicious but very spicy, I am warning you now!
I knew the crowd I was cooking for love spicy foods, but if you and your family don’t, I’d say skip the green chiles and maybe replace the enchilada sauce with a mild salsa or even tomato sauce if the kids don’t like any spice at all.
The crowd I was with, loved the pockets of spicy sauce oozing out of the cornbread when they took a bite!
Add those toppings and enjoy!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 24.9g
- Saturated fat: 12.8g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 566mg
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 24.8g
- Cholesterol: 152mg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare cornbread recipe and pour into cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Poke holes into cornbread and pour enchilada sauce over it.
- Mix the ground beef and seasonings together in a bowl then spread it over the cornbread.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cheese.
- Bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Add optional cilantro over the top if desired.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Add Mexican Toppings like salsa, sour cream, avocado!