Low Carb Portbello Pizzas are easy for a quick dinner, perfectly portioned and totally personalized!
I really don’t love when my hubby is away for work or in this instance recently a boy scout trip to Gettysburg with my oldest son. Gone 5 days. It’s not just the same without either of them and I miss them terribly. My guy is a super big help around the house as well as with the kids and all their activities. It’s so much harder without him!
But there is one, just one simple thing though that I do enjoy while the hubby is gone and that is to make easy dinners for myself. Since my man is a more meat and potatoes kind of guy, dinner is always a large meal of his day and a salad would never be enough for him. When I can skip the heavy carbs, I do and this recipe is one of my favorites.
I love the fact that portobello mushroom caps are just the right size for personal pizzas! I usually make the kids pizza on whole wheat pita’s and serve mine like this. When I’m having this for lunch I enjoy one with a side of carrots and hummus, salad or a piece of fruit, but for dinner I opt for two servings. Surprisingly my daughter actually wanted to try this version and said, “you can’t even notice it doesn’t have bread mom, all the other flavors cover the mushroom and I love it!” Whoa, what? Repeat repeat? Yep! Words from her mouth and I was pleased for sure!
You can either broil these as the recipe says or use an outdoor grill. I had some of my own marinara sauce to top each cap with then added my toppings. I was going to opt for no meat but had just bought some Applegate pepperoni for the kids the other day.
My daughter loves the turkey pepperoni as do I so it was a win to find it at my Aldi’s in town!
I shredded my own mozzarella, and topped with fresh cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil from my garden.
Of course you can keep this meatless for Meatless Monday, but one thing is for sure, with all the toppings a fork is required. Doesn’t bother me that I can’t pick it up like a typical pizza. It’s hearty, satiating and delicious!
Other alternative pizza recipes you might like:
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ounce turkey pepperoni, cut into fourths
- fresh basil
- Heat your broiler or outdoor grill.
- Drizzle olive oil over both sides of mushroom caps. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Broil or grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Top each cap with 1 tablespoon tomato sauce, ¼ cup of cheese, ¼ cup of sliced tomatoes and evenly divide up pepperoni to each.
- Broil or grill 2-3 minutes until cheese is nicely melted.
- Top with fresh basil if desired.