Creamy Pumpkin Quinoa is a fabulous gluten and sugar-free breakfast or side dish.
If you love pumpkin and have never tried quinoa before, this recipe would be a great way to start! Quinoa, (Keen-wah), is considered a super-food full of fiber, protein, amino acids, folate and magnesium. It’s grain like but technically it’s a seed from a plant in South America. I’ve been enjoying it for years as a great substitute to rice and wonderful in salads to give some heartiness and bulk.
Last week when I had some left over pumpkin puree, I decided to throw in it some warm, just cooked quinoa I was planning on making for a salad for lunch. Then BOOM, added some warm spices and YUMMO to my new breakfast! I even threw a few sugar-free chocolate chips on top just because. 🙂
You could easily serve this as a side dish on Thanksgiving as well if you like.
Notes on Recipe:
- I used Half & Half here which is combined half cream, half milk mixture. You could just use cream or milk. Obviously cream makes the quinoa more luscious, but milk will work fine too.
- If you don’t have stevia you could really add any sweetener you want to after mixing all ingredients together. Or just serve individually and let others add their own sweetener of choice to their dish.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Creamy Pumpkin Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid vanilla stevia or 1-2 packets powdered
In a pot add quinoa and water and bring to a boil.
Add salt once boiling and reduce to a simmer and cover.
Simmer for 12-15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
Fluff with a fork then mix in the rest of the ingredients, except stevia.
Start with 1/2 teaspoon of stevia or 1 packet, taste and increase if needed.
Enjoy warm, refrigerate left overs.