Low Carb Eggplant Pizza Bites are a delicious way to enjoy the favorite flavors of typical pizza without all the carbs!
Here's a great appetizer for a party or just a nice meatless dinner idea for the family. Eggplant slices topped with the favorite flavors of sauce and cheese! Quick and easy and certainly customizable as well.
Fresh chopped basil over the sauce before adding the cheese give these mini pizzas a nice fresh taste. Feel free to add your favorite toppings. Keeping it simple works for me, how about you?
One cup of mozzarella cheese is used for the entire recipe and really that's not much when you have 12 little pizzas here. You could always add more if you like.
You can enjoy 3 of these for under 200 calories, not bad at all!
My kids aren't fans of eggplant but of course enjoy pizza from time to time. I have whole wheat pizza crusts recipes on the blog, but have yet to make a gluten free pizza crust recipe. When I had some eggplant from my garden I knew I wanted to experiment with them and this is what I came up. Hubby and I enjoyed them happily!
Low Carb Eggplant Pizza Bites
- 1 medium eggplant 12, half inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a cooling wire rack onto a large baking pan.
- Use a pastry brush to brush oil over the tops of each eggplant slice.
- Add seasonings to each slice on both sides.
- Bake slices for 10 minutes.
- Spread sauce over the slices and add Parmesan evenly over each slice.
- Sprinkle basil over each and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake another 5- 10 minutes.
Other recipes you might like:
This recipe had great flavor but the tough texture of the eggplant skin was a little off-putting. I wonder how to soften it a little more? Maybe longer cooking time at lower temp? Any suggestions?
I like the skin, but peel it if you're not a fan. Longer cooking time will soften it but it may be more difficult to pick up.
The trick is to soak the eggplant slices in warm salt water for 20 mins. Then dry them, squeeze a little, w papertowels to remove the moisture before baking.
I just baked this and they were so soft you could cut them in half w a fork very easily.
Thanks for this recipe. I made it (not once but twice) over the weekend and it was delicious. Felt healthy too.